Help with coast to coast cycle - Irvine to Musselburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dianelc

I would certainly take a 10 year old along the innocent railway path to Musselburgh. If you would like a detailed route from the canal to your destination, let me know. There are several quiet roads which will cut a significant amount of distance off following the canal between Linlithgow & Edinburgh. It all depends on where your route takes you. Depending on where your journey takes you, Im fairly confident that I can find the safest route for you & your son 15 miles west of the city to your final destination. Depending on dates/times I would happily be a guide for you both.

Wow so kind. Whatever route you think would be safest. We aim to set off on Saturday 8th of October. I'm hopeful that we will be finishing on Sunday the 9th all going well. We have only cycled on quieter roads so far as mainly sticking to cycle routes but Starting to build our confidence. All advice welcome

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Decided to do a dummy run from Paisley to the Falkirk wheel at the weekend as this looked like the part of the route we were most likely to get lost. Despite @Pat "5mph" idiots guide I still managed to get lost a couple of times but found our way eventually thanks to your invaluable directions and map. Think we might venture to the east of the country to try out the part between the canal and the innocent railway. Being out at the weekend also taught us that the paths are so crowded that we now plan to set off on the Monday when it's a bit quieter.

Ah right ,it is a busy road mind you.
I would suggest the Barrhead road,but much the same as the A71 in that it's well used .
Ok,it was just a thought .
I'm just wondering if you could head to Stewarton through Lawthorn,and onto the Old Glasgow Road.
A lot quieter and safer I reckon

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Think
Ah right ,it is a busy road mind you.
I would suggest the Barrhead road,but much the same as the A71 in that it's well used .
Ok,it was just a thought .
I'm just wondering if you could head to Stewarton through Lawthorn,and onto the Old Glasgow Road.
A lot quieter and safer I reckon
i think we could have coped with that. We have set up a just giving page stating our route along the cycle paths so should stick to the long winded way for now. Thanks for your advice tho. Are you local to Ayrshire?

bruce1530

Guru
The original route from irvine to glasgow was along the N7 cycle route. The section from Kilwinning to Glengarnock is on quiet back roads, the rest is pretty much traffic free.

Think

i think we could have coped with that. We have set up a just giving page stating our route along the cycle paths so should stick to the long winded way for now. Thanks for your advice tho. Are you local to Ayrshire?

23 years staying in Milgarholm Avenue.
^_^

Top Bottom