Help with coast to coast cycle - Irvine to Musselburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dianelc

Hi i have just started cycling in the past two months, my 10 year old son has decided to do a coast to coast cycle for charity and i am joining him. Due to his age and our inexperience I am planning on following the cycle routes. route 7 from irvine to glasgow, then towards cambuslang and bathgate livingston to edinburgh before heading to musselburgh. Does anyone have experience on any of these routes and have any advice they can offer. It seems straight forward until we hit glasgow, then there are many routes but it looks like they may be on road.

JoshM

I don't have much experience of the route but if you like I'm happy to take a wee nose at the Edinburgh - Musselburgh part of the route for you if you message me what your proposed route through is.

What sort of bikes are you taking? I haven't ridden the whole of the route (the only C2C I've done is Ayr-Musselburgh, on-road) but having ridden part of the Glasgow-Edinburgh cycle path, I wouldn't recommend it on road bikes. Fine on a hybrid/MTB/CX but some of the surfaces are fairly rough for skinny tyres.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've done Paisley to Bathgate a few times. Into Glasgow on Paisley Road West is fine if you avoid rush hour. Cross the river in the city centre and go along the river to Trongate, then follow the A89. I've always stayed on the road until beyond Airdrie when the cyclepath becomes available - and it is properly tarmac'd now, but does meander a bit.

I would suggest going via Cramond, Leith (Newhaven), Portobello, Musselburgh

That is the last stretch, pretty much one road but there is a path along the beach at portobello but not sure if its cycling friendly as I tend to stay on the road.

JoshM

That is the last stretch, pretty much one road but there is a path along the beach at portobello but not sure if its cycling friendly as I tend to stay on the road.
That would make sense - the prom looks pretty cycle friendly on the small bit I've walked. Not sure about Portabello to Musselburgh though

That would make sense - the prom looks pretty cycle friendly on the small bit I've walked. Not sure about Portabello to Musselburgh though

Its not too bad, its a nice cycle and the roads are pretty wide meaning you can get cars going past and giving you space.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @dianelc and welcome.
I live in Rutherglen, which is the town before Cambuslang.
Be aware that the path along the Clyde from Rutherglen to Cambuslang is closed until further notice because they are building a new bridge.
There are no diversions in place, as far as I know you would have to go on the main road, which is a fast and busy road.
After Cambuslang I believe you have to get to Hamilton (on another fast, busy road with painted on cycle lanes), then go through Chatelherault park to join the cycle route.
All in all the route from Glasgow to Hamilton is a bit hairy and all uphill. Even to enter the park you need to turn right after a steep descent, with incoming traffic on a blind bend.
If you're riding with a 10 year old, I would advise the canal route from Glasgow: it's a bit dull, exposed to the elements, rough in places (not suitable for road bikes) but safe - well, unless you fall into it!
I would strongly NOT recommend the route @boydj suggests if you are inexperienced.
From Paisley to Glasgow the NCN7 meanders a bit, but is safe and well sign posted, only you need to watch out for unexpected twisty turns.
When are you planning to do this?
I could scout the Hamilton - Bathgate for you, but Glasgow to Hamilton will always be difficult with a 10 year old or if you're not used to riding in traffic.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

I don't have much experience of the route but if you like I'm happy to take a wee nose at the Edinburgh - Musselburgh part of the route for you if you message me what your proposed route through is.

That would be great thanks. My original plan was cycle route 75 onto route 1. Although the suggestion of crammond, leith, newhaven does sound a better option if it's safe for a 10 year old.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

What sort of bikes are you taking? I haven't ridden the whole of the route (the only C2C I've done is Ayr-Musselburgh, on-road) but having ridden part of the Glasgow-Edinburgh cycle path, I wouldn't recommend it on road bikes. Fine on a hybrid/MTB/CX but some of the surfaces are fairly rough for skinny tyres.
Hi we are both on hybrids mine have slightly wider tyres for trak and trail. My sons are slimmer but not road tyres.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Thanks for that. I remember that road(before my cycling days) I'm sure it's safe enough just can't remember the crammond to leith part.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Hi @dianelc and welcome.
I live in Rutherglen, which is the town before Cambuslang.
Be aware that the path along the Clyde from Rutherglen to Cambuslang is closed until further notice because they are building a new bridge.
There are no diversions in place, as far as I know you would have to go on the main road, which is a fast and busy road.
After Cambuslang I believe you have to get to Hamilton (on another fast, busy road with painted on cycle lanes), then go through Chatelherault park to join the cycle route.
All in all the route from Glasgow to Hamilton is a bit hairy and all uphill. Even to enter the park you need to turn right after a steep descent, with incoming traffic on a blind bend.
If you're riding with a 10 year old, I would advise the canal route from Glasgow: it's a bit dull, exposed to the elements, rough in places (not suitable for road bikes) but safe - well, unless you fall into it!
I would strongly NOT recommend the route @boydj suggests if you are inexperienced.
From Paisley to Glasgow the NCN7 meanders a bit, but is safe and well sign posted, only you need to watch out for unexpected twisty turns.
When are you planning to do this?
I could scout the Hamilton - Bathgate for you, but Glasgow to Hamilton will always be difficult with a 10 year old or if you're not used to riding in traffic.

That's fantastic info, I hadn't considered any the routes being closed. It sound like the canal route would be the way to go. If you are familiar with route 7 onto the canals where would you recommend joining the canal route and coming back off.

This forum is Fantastic I am so greatful for all the help and expertise.

JoshM

That would be great thanks. My original plan was cycle route 75 onto route 1. Although the suggestion of crammond, leith, newhaven does sound a better option if it's safe for a 10 year old.

Are you on Strava? I'll cycle the route next week, going Crammond, Leith, Portobello and report back. I can also record the route I took on Strava so you can see it on a map. :-)

Top Bottom