Help with coast to coast cycle - Irvine to Musselburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dianelc

Yeah not much has changed in Irvine except the 'new magnum' which has yet to open, and doesn't seem to be anywhere as good as the original.

And inconveniently placed smack bang in the middle of the Cross :ohmy:
Last time I saw it ,it was a shell .

(My mum still stays in Irvine,but not Milgarholm.Thornhouse avenue.)

fimm

Veteran
Here's how I would get from the canal to the Innocent:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6958988
The tricky bit is in fact the first bit off the canal: when you get to the right turn from Gilmore Place into Home Street (there's a big theatre opposite) I'd suggest that you get off on the left and wait for the pedestrian phase and walk across. The light sequence is evil and the turning is a major point of complaint on the Edinburgh cycling forum.
Once you are onto the Meadows then you've got good-for-the-UK infrastructure all the way to the Innocent.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
You can avoid most traffic by heading up Leamington Terrace at the bridge and then head back down the shared use path towards the Innocent. The are other options of avoiding the city centre a little further up the canal.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

You can avoid most traffic by heading up Leamington Terrace at the bridge and then head back down the shared use path towards the Innocent. The are other options of avoiding the city centre a little further up the canal.
Ok I will study google maps tonight. Where would you suggest coming off?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yeah not much has changed in Irvine except the 'new magnum' which has yet to open, and doesn't seem to be anywhere as good as the original.
I briefly worked for KA Leisure at the start of the summer - until I realised that "Caretaker at Recreation park" actually meant "cleaner at the Magnum"!
Which was a pity, as the caretaker part of it was quite enjoyable when they actually left you to do that. And as an added bonus, I quite enjoyed doing the commute from Largs by bike, weather permitting.

I know this suggestion might be a bit at odds with your current plan, but last year I did a Scottish C2C from Largs to Berwick upon Tweed, via overnight stops at Lanark and Melrose.
I did a thread about it HERE.
The route is shown on the Strava links on the above thread. It was done over 3 days with mileages of 66, 52, and 44 on the respective days. All on minor roads* or bike paths (and using the "Tweed Valley Cycle route" from Biggar to Berwick). The only big climb was the Fairlie Moor Road, but obviously if you started in Irvine you would cut over to Stewarton, and Fairlie Moor wouldn't come into your plans.
* Apart from those caused by my stupidity and navigational errors, i.e. between Strathaven and Lanark. Easily fixed. Oh, and you don't want to take the muddy path out of Biggar that I did! There is a minor road available.

Edit.... I just saw this information on my link to the Tweed Valley cycle route. "Repeated long hilly stages including remote areas. High degree of self sufficiency required and some require multi-day/night trips." From memory, there are some hilly sections, but nothing too drastic. Might be a bit much for a 10 year old though, come to think of it. Don't want to put him off on his first tour!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dianelc

What a great guy.
superhero-3386.gif

You must be well proud.

Irvine makes me smile...

We booked in at the Hallmark hotel, and arrived late afternoon, sodden after a couple of hours of heavy rain.

As we approached the desk, teh "Concierge" simply announced....

"Towels for the lady and gentleman"

That set the tone for the stay. A separate secure room for the bikes, and all part of the service

... and the car park at Lochwinnoch broke my Airnimal!

Took the sleeper to Glasgow and stopped off at LochWinnoch Cafe for a mid morning snack

There is a small (very small) kerb, as you enter. Almighty "crack" and the frame had failed!

DSCF3121.jpg

DSCF3125.jpg

More seriously, we did this some 15 years ago and the route was fine, but large sections have been changed / downgradrd and diverted, especially around Bathgate

If they are still there do allow time to explo ethe sculptures along the route

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Where did your journey take you? We stopped at a cafe in lochwinoch on Saturday the food was great and really friendly staff. They have made us plan to stop there on Monday.

Top Bottom