Help with coast to coast cycle - Irvine to Musselburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
Indeed - and a big :bravo: to you for posting up the route to the Innocent Rail path - I followed it :huh: ... sort of :unsure: but we found the right tunnel ! ^_^
No problem - but that sounds as though you had an issue somewhere?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@Pat "5mph" - Not only did the wee fella make it to Musselburgh - there is proof !

IMG_20161011_172807.jpg

Still smiling ! ^_^
Nice lad and Mum with whom to ride - never complained, always smiling ... I think he's got the bug ... :bicycle: ... and she's got the "Better help him all we can" down to a fine art. :laugh:

OP
OP
D

dianelc

IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2771.JPG IMG_2779.JPG Stopped for a quick hot chocolate and a scone at the canal in Paisley. Right on the cycle route and very nice and cyclist friendly.
Then on our way to Glasgow with Nathan picking up a puncture enroute (very helpfully fixed by a passing cyclist and workman who was working on the building site) joined the canal at kelvin grove park. Stopped again at the stables in Kirkintilloch (great bar snack pizza but coffee was rubbish, also very cyclist friendly tho). Back on the bikes to the Falkirk wheel just as the clouds were looking very black. We had great weather and Nathan was still smiling as day one came to a close.

Attachments

• IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
D

dianelc

FullSizeRender 4.jpg IMG_2725.JPG IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2759.JPG IMG_2756.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_2747.JPG Day 2. Mild morning little drizzly and breezy but still fantastic weather to be on the bikes. Had a good breakfast and set off at 9:20 was surprised to see the kelpies in the distance but realised we were getting closer and so must have been on the wrong path. (Don't ask the locals, they must not use the canal routes as 4 different locals all confirmed that this was in fact the right way) got to see the kelpies before warning @Scoosh we may be a little later than planned at linthithgow :blush:. So 10 miles later we were back at the start and on the right track :bicycle:

Nathan was delighted to meet @Scoosh as he had warned me that we should have done a trial run of the Falkirk Edinburgh route. He obviously felt confident we would have no more mishaps when he was no longer relying on me haha. :notworthy:

The park bistro was very nice and broke up the canal route. We both found the Clyde and forth canal a bit more interesting than the union canal. I think Nathan got so bored he crashed into a gait that he hadn't noticed and fell off :laugh:. Back on the bike and on to Edinburgh where the kids were out in the canoes and the route started to get interesting.
Loved all the helpful advice from @Scoosh about road positions going through the city. Can now see the appeal of the roads. Although cars don't move very fast in Edinburgh so felt we weren't holding anyone up very much. Edinburgh to Musselburgh was the best part of day 2 and seemed much shorter than I expected.

So mission accomplished and hats off to cycle chat. I think the planning would have been more difficult than the actual cycle if it wasn't for all your advice and of course our personal guide on day 2.

Nathan completed his challenge and raised £2000 for Anthony Nolan. So thanks for your advice, support and donations.
Oh and you have also passed the bug onto me ;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Excellent report and pictures, Diane, cheers for that!
You're so right about the Stables coffee ^_^
@Scoosh is an outstanding teacher, he will carry on teaching you even after you're already learned :whistle: :tongue:
You're also correct about using the roads: for example you could have ridden Paisley to Glasgow on in half of the time it takes to ride the NCR, it is also a completely flat 9 miles, not much of a challenge apart from the motorized traffic.
The lanes you rode instead are lovely though, aren't they?
What next for you and the intrepid Nathan?
A CC Ecosse group ride! :biggrin: :hello:

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Excellent report and pictures, Diane, cheers for that!
You're so right about the Stables coffee ^_^
@Scoosh is an outstanding teacher, he will carry on teaching you even after you're already learned :whistle: :tongue:
You're also correct about using the roads: for example you could have ridden Paisley to Glasgow on in half of the time it takes to ride the NCR, it is also a completely flat 9 miles, not much of a challenge apart from the motorized traffic.
The lanes you rode instead are lovely though, aren't they?
What next for you and the intrepid Nathan?
A CC Ecosse group ride! :biggrin: :hello:
First a wee short ride tomorrow with my youngest who I have promised I will go a cycle with :cycle: she's only 5! And has been desperate to come with us on training rides lol.

I don't think Nathan has been put off (probably thanks to the fantastic weather we had). A cc ecosse group ride might be something to train for. It would be good to do something a bit more sociable :biggrin:.

Top Bottom