Help with Garmin 800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
Not a huge problem, more of an annoyance. When riding the Avg. Speed does not seem to display/ work but it is calculated once the journey has been uploaded to the garmin site. Does anyone know of why this may happen?

I bought this item used and do not have the instructions. I've tried looking online but cant seem to locate an answer. this appears to be the only problem so it leads me to believe this is simply a setting problem.

Any advice greatly appreceiated.

The manual, quick start guide etc is all here

If I am being too simplistic - ignore me.

Are you showing "average speed" on the screen?

There are a number of screens and you can determine how many you have, how many items are on each screenand what is shown on each.

There are 5 options for the "Speed",

Speed
Average speed
Lap speed
Last lap speed
Maximum speed

The manuals will show you how.

Trickedem

Guru
The average speed displayed is an overall average including stops. Once you upload to garmin connect you will also be able to See moving average as well. For some reason I don't think it can calculate this on the go

OP
OP
frayBentos59

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
The manual, quick start guide etc is all here

If I am being too simplistic - ignore me.

Are you showing "average speed" on the screen?

There are a number of screens and you can determine how many you have, how many items are on each screenand what is shown on each.

There are 5 options for the "Speed",

Speed
Average speed
Lap speed
Last lap speed
Maximum speed

The manuals will show you how.
Yeah there's a display for the average speed but nothing is ever calculated when on the go. It just stays blank throughout the journey. It will calculate the average when uploaded to Garmin.

I think Trickedem you may well be right, it must not work when on the go.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

400bhp

Guru
Yeah there's a display for the average speed but nothing is ever calculated when on the go. It just stays blank throughout the journey. It will calculate the average when uploaded to Garmin.

I think Trickedem you may well be right, it must not work when on the go.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

Sounds like your magnet on the wheel isn't lining up correctly with the sensor. Garmin either uses the wheel or gps to calculate speed and in my experience if your sensor isn't lined up the gps won't overwrite it (unless you tell garmin to calculate speed specifically from gps and ignore the sensor). It's happened to me twice, both times on the same hill and both times at speeds of about 50mph-my wheel magnet had worked loose.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Garmin's manuals and help files generally don't help :angry::laugh:

This site might be more useful. Your current query is specifically covered, and it says that it should be possible to display average speed. I can't speak from personal experience, as I don't use that function myself.

Trickedem

Guru
My cadence/speed sensor packed up over the weekend, so maybe there is something in this. However the overall average is more important for me anyway as I do a lot of Audax rides

S1mon

I use the cadence but have no speed sensor as the gps does that. And my average speed shows during ride

Gary E

Veteran
Yep, average speed displays during the ride. Just checked :smile:

OP
OP
frayBentos59

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
thanks once again to all that contributed to this. I'm with S1mon, no speed sensor so that could be my starter for ten. I'll review the link you kindly provided Asa, hopefully I'll be able to resolve from there :smile:

thanks once again for your help and to Gary E for rubbing it in :laugh:

Possibly the way it has been set up by previous user. Mine displays avg speed while on the move, when I upload to garmin connect it then show avg speed and avg moving speed on the activity page.

david k

Hi
i dont get average speed either, the heading is there but nothing underneath, speed and time are though??

when i upload it shows it but not when cycling

Gary E

Veteran
That's the good thing about the 800, it reminds you to press the start button if it detects motion and you haven't already started it :thumbsup:.

Lost count of the amount of times I did this on my 705 :blush:

Top Bottom