Help with identifying Freddie Grubb Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Early 60s or late 50s, I'd say, because of the lack of a mech hanger. The 531 decal may not be original - there are literally tens of different styles and most are more descriptive than just "531".

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its a shame the site ww.nkilgariff.com is no longer going, I think it may have held some valuable information for you.
I wasn't sure if the frame had been stripped and varnished or chromed. Also a shame the head badge is missing but maybe you can pick one up somewhere?

OP
OP
Reborncoyote

Reborncoyote

Regular
Its a shame the site ww.nkilgariff.com is no longer going, I think it may have held some valuable information for you.
I wasn't sure if the frame had been stripped and varnished or chromed. Also a shame the head badge is missing but maybe you can pick one up somewhere?
That site I’m sure may have held the key. Yes I’m trying to find a head badge and to dat the frame would help this possibly to get the correct one.

OP
OP
Reborncoyote

Reborncoyote

Regular
Sorry I didn't see they were Mafac brakes. Is there some writing on the front.
I have been reading an article in a magazine which says that they Made a cheaper centre pull which looked like a Weinmann copy in the 70's.
Here’s the front shot...

Attachments

• ACF6813D-2EE1-49FD-AAAF-E5BFF3447CBA.jpeg
    ACF6813D-2EE1-49FD-AAAF-E5BFF3447CBA.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 40

midlife

Guru
To me it's a typical 70's frame with Italian style long lugs, Cinelli MC style of fork crown and zero braze ons. The geometry is of that era too. Just doesn't look very Freddie Grub. Iirc the FG badge was quite small and the holes on the frame look quite wide apart.

How wide is the BB shell?

To me it's a typical 70's frame with Italian style long lugs, Cinelli MC style of fork crown and zero braze ons. The geometry is of that era too. Just doesn't look very Freddie Grub. Iirc the FG badge was quite small and the holes on the frame look quite wide apart.

How wide is the BB shell?
I think you are correct in the date of the frame going by the style of lugs and seat post stays. The frame is similar in appearance to my 70's Holdsworth Record in the style of lugs and the finish to the ends of the thicker seat post stays.
As Freddie Grubb and Claud Butler were part of Holdsworth during that period I wonder how much influence each company had on it's designs. I think a bit like Carlton and Raleigh.

Just did a bit more reading. In 1973 the centre pulls were updated, a short arm version the Competition and a longer arm version, the Racer. Later versions had the name on a transfer in gold on a black background. Also a double ended ball type cable was used.

Top Bottom