Help with identifying Freddie Grubb Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reborncoyote

Reborncoyote

Regular
I think you are correct in the date of the frame going by the style of lugs and seat post stays. The frame is similar in appearance to my 70's Holdsworth Record in the style of lugs and the finish to the ends of the thicker seat post stays.
As Freddie Grubb and Claud Butler were part of Holdsworth during that period I wonder how much influence each company had on it's designs. I think a bit like Carlton and Raleigh.
Thanks for your research illaveago - much appreciated

OP
OP
Reborncoyote

Reborncoyote

Regular

Attachments

• 2C7A28B5-B047-4177-B0AF-9BE43E618BE0.jpeg
    2C7A28B5-B047-4177-B0AF-9BE43E618BE0.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Reborncoyote

Reborncoyote

Regular
To me it's a typical 70's frame with Italian style long lugs, Cinelli MC style of fork crown and zero braze ons. The geometry is of that era too. Just doesn't look very Freddie Grub. Iirc the FG badge was quite small and the holes on the frame look quite wide apart.

How wide is the BB shell?
About 67mm

midlife

Guru
About 67mm

Not some odd Italian jobby then...

AllinNut

Bit late with this - Grubb frame number 20454 would date from 1964-66 and the Agrati dropouts are consistent with this date. The frame has been plated later in my view. The long spear points on the Prugnat lugs seem to me to indicate that this is a 'Tourmalet' model. The frame would have carried the 'crossed flag' style headbadge and the holes will be spaced approx 58 mm. The earlier headbadge (Man on Bike) was spaced 45 mm and was used up to 1964. A full set of decals for this machine can be found at H Lloyd and new head badges turn up regularly. Hope that this helps

OP
OP
Reborncoyote

Reborncoyote

Regular
Thanks very much for this AllinNut..very interesting. The distance between the holes on my frame is 67mm indicating much bigger badge?

PedalPedantic

www.nkilgariff.com is back up if anyone wants to research F. H. Grubb or Freddie Grubb. Reborn, did you find out anything conclusive about the marque/year of your frame? Your headbadge rivet hole spacing pretty much rules out a Grubb. The location of the b.b. number is not in the usual place (n.d.s.) for a Holdsworth Grubb, as well.

Top Bottom