Help with my fettling (no mechanical experience)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
So, in the original lockdown, my partner bought a folding bike to help them get to and from work.

It's in an awful state, needs so much work done, but thankfully with winter, we somewhat left it.
Now it's coming back around to Spring, I've just pumped the tyres and realised the work needing done, wasn't.

I'm needing some tips on how to "straighten" the rear mudguard (it's bent to hell, catches the tyre if not in the right position), so I want to remove it and hopefully bash out the dents.

Then my next challenge is working out why my partner keeps saying, after the bike has been folded/unfolded, the gears slip.
I've looked and they're not moving the awful gripshifts, so I appreciate it's not their issue.

Admittedly, I do want to clean the chain completely, re-grease and see if that helps, but I also want to get the bike into the LBS for a proper service.

I do want to eventually get the LBS to replace the gripshifts to trigger style gears.

For reference, it's a Challenge Holborn, and just seen the original price of it, we were seen coming (I didn't have a say on the purchase admittedly).

All and any advice is always welcome.

C R

Guru
Some photos would help in giving some pointers.

Sharky

Guru
You need to do a careful cost analysis. Seems like you can get a brand new one from Argos for £129.
If you can do the work yourself, it may just be worth it, but if there is a lot wrong with it and you go to your LBS, you could be out of pocket.

weareHKR

I'm needing some tips on how to "straighten" the rear mudguard (it's bent to hell, catches the tyre if not in the right position), so I want to remove it and hopefully bash out the dents.
Well, you can remove it & try tapping it back into shape with a plastic headed hammer, tbh it's probably just as cheap to buy & fit a new one.

Then my next challenge is working out why my partner keeps saying, after the bike has been folded/unfolded, the gears slip.
I've looked and they're not moving the awful gripshifts, so I appreciate it's not their issue.
The Gripshifters are probably not the best but they do work ok if they are kept in decent order, like anything else really.
I think you can lift off the top cover of the shifter, possibly a screwdriver slot in between the housing somewhere near the adjuster end? use a small-ish screwdriver to prise it open, it will reveal the end of the cable, you could try spraying plenty of WD40 in there & work the shifters at the same time they may free off!

Admittedly, I do want to clean the chain completely, re-grease and see if that helps, but I also want to get the bike into the LBS for a proper service.
You can clean the chain while it's on the bike with the appropriate chain cleaner of your choice using a brush, dry it off with a rag & blast it with WD40 to get rid of the water & then use some bike chain oil & lubricate every link, then wipe off the excess with a different clean rag!

Good luck & let us know how you get on!

sleuthey

Legendary Member
As implied above, full service and shifter replaced at LBS probably not financially viable.
Use an adjustable wrench to both remove and bend the mudguards. Use pliers or fingers to adjust the cable tension screw at the rear mech.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'd get rid - it's a cheap argos bike with dreadful components - heavy and unpleasant to ride. Get what you can for it and then buy something a bit better quality

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You need to do a careful cost analysis. Seems like you can get a brand new one from Argos for £129.
If you can do the work yourself, it may just be worth it, but if there is a lot wrong with it and you go to your LBS, you could be out of pocket.

El cheapo bikes are only economically viable to repair if you do the work yourself. I run a near-worthless Apollo as a hack bike, and I maintain it in a reasonable state, but never spend a penny on doing so. It's the cycling version of bangernomics, and it only adds up if you do everything strictly DIY and use salvaged secondhand parts as replacements.
Once you start spending actual cash on such machines, you might as well buy a new replacement with a years warranty, and flog the faulty one on the 'bay as a spares or repair job. Someone like me might risk a tenner of their hard earned on it.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
Some photos would help in giving some pointers.
Once I'm home, I'll take some. :smile: I'm working away from home until Monday.

Also need to work out a way to get some right nuts and bolts to replace those that are missing too, so will definitely take pics.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
As to cleaning the chain, just use a rag with a bit of white spirit on it to lift the gunk off then apply some chain lube/ oil

Actually chain care and choice of lubricant is a quasi religious subject on this forum. Have a search and you will find many long threads on the subject.
Oh I know it is. I sometimes miss having a Park Tool chain cleaner, as that was handy!
I'll find an old rag and clean it off.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
Giving it to your LBS will make it a uneconomical project, even doing it yourself would be marginal.
Let's see some pics.

While I appreciate that, its why I want to try and do as much as possible myself.
The bike is a cheap one, we know that, and I only found out the brand new cost of it when I posted this help post as I googled the model of it (it was in the car and raining heavily). My partner does need a working bike to help them enjoy cycling, while we save towards buying an e-bike for them to get used to too.
So this is a cheap method right now, I don't expect to polish the turd and get something beautiful, just have a nicer looking turd :biggrin:

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
I'd get rid - it's a cheap argos bike with dreadful components - heavy and unpleasant to ride. Get what you can for it and then buy something a bit better quality
My partner would hate to see this reply.
Mostly for the waste aspect.

Until we can afford something better, we need to make do with what we have.

While it's heavy and awful, it'll help them appreciate a lighter better bike later.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
El cheapo bikes are only economically viable to repair if you do the work yourself. I run a near-worthless Apollo as a hack bike, and I maintain it in a reasonable state, but never spend a penny on doing so. It's the cycling version of bangernomics, and it only adds up if you do everything strictly DIY and use salvaged secondhand parts as replacements.
Once you start spending actual cash on such machines, you might as well buy a new replacement with a years warranty, and flog the faulty one on the 'bay as a spares or repair job. Someone like me might risk a tenner of their hard earned on it.

Lmao, love this reply.
I do remember buying my first bike to get back into cycling, was a £50 banger Apollo dual shock awful bike.
Was like riding a tank, and would've caused more damage to something hitting it than I would.

I definitely want to learn, and need to learn how to DIY, so their bike is going to be that project, since we have another which needs fettled, but is currently sat pretty in our front room with lights adorning it (you even miss the rust points for how pretty it looks).

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom