Help with shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pompeyuni

Hi all,

I have just been given a road bike by a friend as I wish to get into cycling. After reading some many things on the web I am unsure of my next move. I don't wish to wear cleats yet as I've not been on a bike for years and want to get used to it first. But what sought of shoe should I wear?. I've had the pedals changed over to flats, but sure I will wear cleats in the near future, would it be wrong to buy some cleats and not lock myself in. Any help would be much appreciated as I am a total beginner.

Thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
You can't wear cleated shoes and not clip in? Nor wear shoes with cleats on flat pedals...why would you, you'll skid around on the pedals, not v safe

Just find a trainer or walking type shoe with a stiff sole to use with flat pedals. There's no imperative to clip in on a roadbike

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
If you plan on using MTB type clipless pedals the cleats are recessed so you can walk in the shoes, some shoes even have a cover plate that you have to remove to fit the cleats, I prefer MTB to road pedals and use the double sided ones on all my bikes, the cleats usually come with the pedals so the shoes come without cleats you should have no problems using MTB shoes with flats.

Alan O

Über Member
I ride with flat pedals a lot, and I just wear simple trainers - fairly stiff thin soles rather than thick-soled spongey ones, and as mjr suggests, slim at the heel.

If you're not using "clipless" pedals (which you clip in to - yeah, I know), I'd say you really don't need any kind of cycling-specific shoes at all.

I am just getting back into cycling after many years away and am currently riding a hybrid with flat pedals and toe straps and wear some very nearly worn out trainer walking shoes.

When I buy my new road bike in a few weeks to come I intend to, for the very first time buy some cleated pedals and associated shoes, but having now read the post made by Afnug I might well have a look for some of the MTB type double sided cleated pedals, does anyone have a link please?

Too Tyred

I really like the look of those MtB pedals, very cool.

Idiot question: Where it says cleats included (and being MtB pedals), does that change what shoes you need? Do you need a special type of shoe, MtB shoes, or will any road shoe fit as well?

vickster

Legendary Member
I really like the look of those MtB pedals, very cool.

Idiot question: Where it says cleats included (and being MtB pedals), does that change what shoes you need? Do you need a special type of shoe, MtB shoes, or will any road shoe fit as well?
Two holes for the cleats. Usually called an MTB, commuter, touring shoe...not a road shoe with three holes

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I started off using trainers but having got the laces caught on the pedals I looked around for something different. I found some Aldi MTB shoes with velcro straps, left the cleat hole covers in and use those.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You can, and should, tuck the knot of the laces into laces further down the shoe. Keeps them neat and out of the way of getting caught.

Top Bottom