Help with shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can use MTB/touring style cycling shoes without cleats. You can use a stiff soled treking shoe, good for winter.
You need the correct amount of grippiness for your pedal, esp if you opt for toe clips. A slick surface like the ones on road cycling shoes will not connect well. A knobbly sole pattern may grip too well, may engage the lip of the flat pedal and force a position and rotation that is not natural for you.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Does anyone know of any kind of cleated shoe that are made for wide fitting feet?

Sidi Mega fitting are a wider fit than their normal shoes, they also offer extended buckle straps etc for folk like me with a high instep.
I believe both specialized and shimano do a wide fitting on a range of their shoes too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You can, and should, tuck the knot of the laces into laces further down the shoe. Keeps them neat and out of the way of getting caught.
You could simply tie your laces for cycling rather than the usual central general-purpose way. Most of the time, just tying the knot by the outside lacehole will be enough, but there are other lacing patterns like https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm which result in the ends trailing away from the pedal/crank/chain.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bikechaincafe website has good prices on Sidi mega but note they are still £75 at least. No free returns so be sure on sizing first

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Does anyone know of any kind of cleated shoe that are made for wide fitting feet?
You have to be careful on length too,I bought some new shoes and had to go two sizes up to get the same sole size.
Best thing to do is try before you buy if you can.The Aldi/Lidl shoes used to be infamous for splitting on the sole plate,and avoid muddy fox as they are so thin and flexible.
Decathlon shoes are pretty good value and comfy if you find the fit ok,I just bought.....
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/herraduro-mountain-bike-cycling-shoes-id_8385924.html

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have wide feet and wear North Wave trainer-style MTB shoes which can take SPD cleats if you want. . I found that Shimano and Specialized were impossibly narrow.
Yeah I like North Wave, even the road shoes are a decent width. Although I do have to order 2 Euro sizes bigger than normal, what with them being Italian.

Top Bottom