Help with SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lubing chain today on SS and noticed that when I turn crank/pedals backwards the rear wheel slows and then starts to turn in the freewheel direction with the pedals 🤷‍♂️ Whats occurring ?

iluvmybike

Ăśber Member
sticky pawls in the freewheel

Ajax Bay

Guru
Try flushing it through with WD40 or similar
Have you done this successfully on one of your freewheels? I'd like lubrication left where it's meant to be (inside the freehub and its bearings), and dousing/inoculation with WD40 will likely dilute or even drive that out, leading to far worse problems. Not as if the problem's a big deal.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I'd suggest reading Sheldon Brown on freewheels and free wheel lube in particular. The article says use oil, not grease for the pawls. Being a piigish sort, I generally get the wheel parallel to the ground and using an oil receptacle with a tiny spout, dribble the oil in to the space between the gear and the core while spinning the wheel slowly. Then let that seep in and repeat.
Freewheels are generally fairly cheap and have 2 or 3 pawls. White industries makes a high quality freewheel that is made to be rebuiilt and last for a long time. They are not inexpensive.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I have had the rear wheel off and serviced the hub a few weeks ago, regressed bearings and assembled. Could it be something I have done ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Freewheels are generally fairly cheap and have 2 or 3 pawls. White industries makes a high quality freewheel that is made to be rebuiilt and last for a long time. They are not inexpensive.
Interestingly one of my local bike repairers has a genuine Shimano single speed freewheel which I assume is good quality.
He's promised it to me when I need one :smile:

Johnsco

Old Fettler
You will always get a little bit of drag from the pawls with a freewheel.
As long as it's not excessive, it's nothing to worry about.
An occasional injection of general lubricating oil (as per post #5) will keep it working OK.
WD40 is likely to wash the lube out, and I wouldn't use it in this way, unless I was going to apply new oil afterwards.

Big John

Guru
Yesterday I serviced the SS freewheel on my bike after watching a YouTube video. So.....my advice would be to spray some GT85 all over the freewheel, front and back as there are two bearing races inside. It does sound llike sticky pawls. By all means if you're feeling brave enough have a go at servicing it but unless you have several hours of your day going spare then try the GT85 route first. All I'll say is that if you DO take it apart be prepared for a mass escape of bearings as they suddenly come to life once they see daylight, as I discovered 🤬 There are approximately 45 miniscule ball bearings to each race. Nightmare.

Top Bottom