Help with vintage derailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
problem is of I do this, the derailer is upside down?
You're not making this easy by posting on two threads!!
Turn 180. Face claw same way as dropout. Edit: deleted. Image of back side of claw?
Edit: from other thread:
1593081669142.png

So the nut for that bolt slots into the 'back' of the dropout.
Read the link that @midlife shared for deeper understanding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rorytymon

Regular
You're not making this easy by posting on two threads!!
Turn 180. Face claw same way as dropout. Edit: deleted. Image of back side of claw?
Edit: from other thread:
View attachment 532306
So the nut for that bolt slots into the 'back' of the dropout.
Read the link that @midlife shared for deeper understanding.
If I do that then the position is incorrect, I've already shown this. I have read the post he gave me however I'm trying to understand if the part is simply not designed for my bike

Attachments

• 15930808265658158875732555536291.jpg
    15930808265658158875732555536291.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
R

rorytymon

Regular
Exactly. Feed the little nut into the dropout first. The open mouth of the claw lines up with the open mouth of the dropout. The flat sided nut sits inside the dropout, preventing it from turning and you tighten up the bolt so the thing sits snug and the claw and the dropout are lined up to receive the wheel.

It will look like this. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/help-with-vintage-derailer.263587/#post-6047626

Or here's an amusingly dirty example
View attachment 532325
Doesn't fit though

Sharky

Guru
Think there is a lesson here for all of us. Before and during any dismantling and rebuild project, take lots of photos to help the rebuild.

DRM

Guru
What everyone else has said, put your bike the correct way up. The little metal tab bolted to the derailleur goes in first so that the dropout on the derailleur & frame face the same way.
this will make the dropout shorter so you have to align the wheel carefully when refitting it

Top Bottom