help with wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
hi all.Im looking for advice on a set off wheels .FULCRUM 5s or mavic open pro rims with shimano 105 hubs with dt swiss revolution spokes. would be thankful for any advice thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm more than happy with my Fulcrum 5's especially as they cost me under £150 for 2013. I would have preferred black or silver hubs over white but that's just nit picking really

Cyclist33

I got the R5s last time and am fairly happy with them but then I'm not in the market so it's a case of live with them. They are a great ride but I have had minor quality assurance issues with them that definitely rubbed a star off my rating.

If I was in the market and of your two options, I had already fantasised about the Open Pro/105 wheels as I suspect they may be a rather good ride.

OP
OP
arch684

arch684

Veteran
I got the R5s last time and am fairly happy with them but then I'm not in the market so it's a case of live with them. They are a great ride but I have had minor quality assurance issues with them that definitely rubbed a star off my rating.

If I was in the market and of your two options, I had already fantasised about the Open Pro/105 wheels as I suspect they may be a rather good ride.
thanks thats helpful

MichaelO

Veteran
I'm biased because of recent experience - my LBS have said recommended returning the Fulcrums & buying Mavics. The two year guarantee/replace for new insurance that they offer sounds fantastic!! Basically, you can trash them twice in two years and return the wheels & get a replacements (worth doing after 23 months...!)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have just replaced the bearings on my pal's rear Fulcrum S5 after around 600 miles and I can't say I'm very impressed with the engineering. The rear wheel has also gone out of centre, meaning it needs the drive side spokes tightened. Fulcrum is Campagnolo, by the way.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
They are good wheels - i just bought a set and thinking of getting another set too

Crankarm

Guru
Mavic Open Pro CD rims on Campag Record, Chorus or Shimano XT, Ultegra or 105 hubs are all very good rides, but then the quality of ride and durability very much depends on the wheel builder.

OP
OP
arch684

arch684

Veteran
Mavic Open Pro CD rims on Campag Record, Chorus or Shimano XT, Ultegra or 105 hubs are all very good rides, but then the quality of ride and durability very much depends on the wheel builder.
hi' I have bought cheaper wheels from the guy before and never had any problems.Im quite confident in his work I just need to make up my mind

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
hi all.Im looking for advice on a set off wheels .FULCRUM 5s or mavic open pro rims with shimano 105 hubs with dt swiss revolution spokes. would be thankful for any advice thanks

You don't say what type of riding you want the wheels for but for what it's worth Open Pro on 105 hubs should outlast the Fulcrum 5 by mile if built correctly.

OP
OP
arch684

arch684

Veteran
You don't say what type of riding you want the wheels for but for what it's worth Open Pro on 105 hubs should outlast the Fulcrum 5 by mile if built correctly.
Hi I cycle 5 days a week.between 20 and 40 miles each time with a lot of hills. Im going to go for the mavic's with 105.i think they will be better for an old guy like me thanks for your advice

Top Bottom