Help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SieKing

my bike, as pictured, (carerra crossfire 2) Is f@&£ed :sad:

well still rideable but there's something wrong with it. The rear wheel isn't spinning freely when I turn it. It isn't catching anything either brake discs etc could the bearings be gone on the wheel? It spins freely but when the quick release gets tightened if you try to spin the wheel it moves about an inch or so could anyone tell me what's wrong? I bought this brand new a couple of years ago so know it's been looked after. Any help would be great thanks.

It sounds like the hub bearings have gone. You can get a new hub for the existing wheel pretty cheaply, or have the existing hub refurbed. I'd just get a new hub if I was you. It's not a big problem, very easily sorted:thumbsup: or it's possible that it's even simpler than that and the quick release skewer has got bent. That's even simpler to sort.

young Ed

Veteran
sounds like it could be the brake pads rubbing on the discs, MAYBE bearings?
try dropping the wheel and and holding the hub on either wide sin the wheel, looking straight at the edge of the tyre is it wobbling at all? could be a buckled wheel causing problems. when doing this same thing does the wheel spin freely out of the bike? try holding the wheel up right on the ground out of the bike and just turn the axle/spindle of the hub round with your fingers and try wobbling it, is there any wobble and does it go all the way around several times in both direction smoothly?

i say the best course of action though is to take it to the LBS (Local Bike Shop)
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
SieKing

SieKing

It sounds like the hub bearings have gone. You can get a new hub for the existing wheel pretty cheaply, or have the existing hub refurbed. I'd just get a new hub if I was you. It's not a big problem, very easily sorted:thumbsup: or it's possible that it's even simpler than that and the quick release skewer has got bent. That's even simpler to sort.

The skewer is slightly bent only at the cross thread section, at one of the ends though not through the main part section could this be the problem or are the bearings Donald ducked lol

The skewer is slightly bent only at the cross thread section, at one of the ends though not through the main part section could this be the problem or are the bearings Donald ducked lol

That's your issue right there. Get a new QR skewer, job's a good'un I reckon.

Tim Hall

I can't see how a bent QR skewer can cause the wheel not to rotate. Surely the axle/spindle remains stationary whilst the bearings and wheel revolve around it. I'm willing to be corrected though.

I can't see how a bent QR skewer can cause the wheel not to rotate. Surely the axle/spindle remains stationary whilst the bearings and wheel revolve around it. I'm willing to be corrected though.
The bend effectively shortens the skewer on the bent side, so the wheel can't center.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
OP says the skewer is only bent at the far end - not in the middle? Surely it must be hub/bearings and not the skewer?

In any case, a trip to the Local Bike Shop will sort it!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Pop a new skewer in(you need one any how) then do as another poster suggested and spin the wheel while holding the skewer ends, you will be able to feel how the wheel does, or doesn't spin.

I would imagine that any impact sufficient to bend a skewer would cause some collateral damage to a bearing

Top Bottom