Help !!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
buggi said:
Elmer, is there a smile on your face yet???
Yes thanks buggi, may be more of a grimace but the dark cloud is lifting slightly

longers

Legendary Member
Hello Elmer :smile:.

Don't make me worry about you as well fer forks sake. :blush:. There's enough bad shoot going on without pulling you out of a ditch. We love you and so does your family, SWMBO, your cocktail (whistling or not) and the lurcher does too .

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Weird Eh ??
Happy as a pig in the mire today. Mind, I was out on bike this a.m. for a couple of hours. Shared me Sarnies with some ducks (Note to self, ducks don't like marmite !).
Isn't life grand !

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Elmer Fudd said:
Weird Eh ??
Happy as a pig in the mire today. Mind, I was out on bike this a.m. for a couple of hours. Shared me Sarnies with some ducks (Note to self, ducks don't like marmite !).
Isn't life grand !

Welcome back Elmer...keep your face to the sunshine.:blush:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Elmer,
I'm no counsellor but I have been to the deepest, darkest hellhole and back. I went through a horribly messy divorce some twenty years ago. I thought my whole world had collapsed. I went around being nasty to myself and nastier to everyone else. But the thing to remember is that there is always a way back.There is never a point of no return.

We cyclists have a great advantage over many others. The exercise we love is a great manufacturer of endorphins which give us a huge lift. Next time you are forging up your favourite hill, try imagining those lively little endorphins filling your brain and refreshing and invigorating your body and soul. Thing is, once you can lift a small corner of that black blanket suffocating your being, you can see that there is a chink of light. Let that give you the strength to fight for what is rightfully yours.

Best of luck my friend. Great respect to you for your post.

Elmer Fudd said:
get that, albeit infrequently and never seems to be the time i really need it.
and to top it all Amy, (cockatiel) has just shat in my right ear ! Just when you think life can't get worse .............
Look, I want to help but you're making me laugh, dammit. :blush:

Hmmm. All I can add is that my drinking increased massively as I got more depressed and my life went more pear shaped+. It's a long, dull and uninteresting story but I realised that there was a direct correlation between my alcohol consumption and the general crapness of my life. It was quite a while before I make the connection and life now is much, much better. Consequently my alcohol consumption has decreased hugely. Hey, I can open a bottle of wine without finishing it and opening another now!
Good luck Fuddles...:blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well Elmer, it seems that in the two days I'm offline you've hit bottom and bounced a bit, and everyone's said pretty much everything I could have said to help anyway.

Except: I knitted all the bits for you-know-what yesterday and will sew them up tonight, and hope to have it in the post to you tomorrow or Weds.

Hope you're feeling better, and that things start to take a turn up...

Elmer am I right in thinking from previous posts you've made on other threads that you're already taking some drugs for depression? Have you checked their compatibility with alcohol because some of them can have a weird effect. Anyway, having suffered from depression in the past, the hardest thing is to get up and do something about it, because the illness itself just forces you into an inert state. It seems like you've broken that barrier to some extent by posting about it on here. Are you having any talking therapy alongside your medication? It's worth giving that avenue a try...

By the way, judging by some of the posts on here you're not alone!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hang on in there Elmer... I come from a long line of quite spectacular alcoholics, but seem to have "got off" fairly lightly myself. I have, however, had my moments, chiefly of the 'not knowing when to stop' kind, and done things like end up coming home in a cab with no cash nor any clear idea of where I'd been or who with, etc. All quite emabarrassing really, in retrospect. I would hate the idea of counselling etc personally, so I decided to do something about it. Cycling is one of those things. Having alcohol free days (usu Mon-Fri) was another. Gave up the tabs (just stopped, basically), cut down on coffee etc, all addictive things. I also recognised those drinks that got me pished, so now start with fruit juice, then stick to beer at parties etc, as I was drinking wine as a thirst quencher...not a good idea!
I wish you well...I know from family members that it can be a hard thing to beat, but if it helps, post here, but a word of advice would be to not let posting become an outlet for making yourself feel better about things you've done....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Arch said:
Well Elmer, it seems that in the two days I'm offline you've hit bottom and bounced a bit, and everyone's said pretty much everything I could have said to help anyway.

Except: I knitted all the bits for you-know-what yesterday and will sew them up tonight, and hope to have it in the post to you tomorrow or Weds.

Hope you're feeling better, and that things start to take a turn up...

You in the bespoke knitted willy-warmer business now, Arch?

Top Bottom