HELP!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
The back wheel of my Specialized Sirrus is badly buckled and it gone beyond just tweaking a few spokes. I took it to my LBS and they couldn't adjust it out. I think it needs to be completely rebuilt. So could some one please recommend good wheel builder in central Hampshire. I believe there are people who post on this bulletin board could do this with ease, I can't! I would be very happy to pay them to do it.

Thanks

Cheule

Would it not be more cost effective to just buy a new wheel?

02GF74

Über Member
cost effective? you need to enquire the costs and then compare to price of replacement wheel - it could be a good excuse to upgrdae the wheels.

shops often will chop off the spokes to save time undoing them so the cost to you will be new spokes plus labour, assuming the rim can be re-used.

in themeantime, what you should do it so undo all the spokes to remove the rim - make a note or take photo of the lacing beforehand - and the lay the rim on a flat surface - there should be no gaps if the rim is true - I have no idea what sort of gap you can get away with and then adjust out using spoke tension but my gut feel is that 2.0 mm would be too much.

if rim is good, also check the sidewalls for wear to determine how much life there is in it.

if the rim is out of round or buckeled (side to side) it is possible to bend it into shape by pulling/pushing or using two blocks of wood, placing rim between them and pressing down with food on the bit that sticks out - apply very little pressue and check otherwise you'll be having to do the opposite.

Davidc

Guru
I haven't rebuilt a wheel for a long time, but would follow the advice above. Check the hub and bearings while it's separated as well. IMO there's no point rebuilding a wheel with any part that only has limited life left or using old spokes. (keep good old spokes as spares though).

The reason I haven't rebuilt any wheels for the last fifteen years is that all older wheels have failed their examination, usually with both the rim and hub well past their use by date, and I've bought new wheels. As a rule I don't think it's worth bothering to do much to any (tourer) wheel that's done over 15-20k miles, which used to be about 3 years for me (and is now about 10years!). By that stage putting in new parts seems to just finish off the rest. Economically dynamo hubs are worth refettling and reusing though.

I end up spending too much especially on back wheels because I replace the cassette and chain and chainrings as well, and then decide that new wheels need new tyres to go with them, and the new rims should really be used with new brake components ........

If you replace the rim it's worth keeping the old one and using it with a worn out tyre as a test bed for repaired inner tubes.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As others have said, I think there has to be a time where you say 'enough', and it sounds like you've reached it. Don't throw good money/time/energy after bad; get on ebay and buy yourself a new second hand wheel. You'll probably end up with a better wheel for a lot less money & angst.

e-rider

crappy member
If you undo the spokes so that the rim is not under tension and its shaped like a pringle crisp then the rim is buckled and it needs a new wheel I'm afraid.

I think you mean; then it needs a new rim I'm afraid (and possibly new spokes, depending on the dimensions of the new rim).

e-rider

crappy member
If the LBS couldn't fix the problem then:

1. they are incompetent

or

2. the rim is bent

rebuilding the wheel will not solve number 2. and is unnecessary if number 1. is to blame - either way you don't need a rebuild, unless you plan to replace the rim (assuming number 2. to be correct)

The cost of new rim (probably plus spokes) and labour will at best, equal to the price of a replacement new wheel unless you have a mega expensive hub on your current wheel or you can do the labour bit yourself (which you said you can't)

e-rider

crappy member
Don't throw good money/time/energy after bad; get on ebay and buy yourself a new second hand wheel[/b]. You'll probably end up with a better wheel for a lot less money & angst.

that is somewhat of an insane statement - buying a secondhand wheel from EBAY is a pretty good way to throw good money after bad!

I think you mean; then it needs a new rim I'm afraid (and possibly new spokes, depending on the dimensions of the new rim).

Strictly speaking yes I do but it's often more cost effective to get a new wheel than to have the old one rebuilt. Depends of course on the rim itself, if you're talking about a very expensive rim then a rebuild would be reasonable option. But for most of what comes through the workshop its as cost effective, and for the customer , quick to get a new and sometimes better wheel.
At the end of the day without more information its impossible to say which is the best course, which leads me back to finding out whether the rim is knackered or not as the first thing to do.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I think I will need an expert opinion on my rim but if I am right then I need to look at a new wheel. But there is about 4mm of side to side 'movement'. You might be wondering what I've done to this poor bike to get it into this state! The block and chain need to be replaced as well. One last request, I currently have Alex S500 rims with 14g Stainless spokes. I want to replace it with something similar if not better i.e. bomb proof! Could someone recommend one please.

Thanks

Sounds like you need a hub service as well.
looking at the bike on the web I reckon a new wheel is the most economical option
Do ask at the LBS, may have some good offers on. I expect you would be looking in the region of £70 for a decent wheel for the back end, possibly on a shimano hub.
I had a set of these on my old road bike and they are very good value for money and never a problem with them in thousands of miles.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/117504.html

Bomb proof, this is not possible while humanity is involved in the process of riding a bike!

let us know how you get on.:smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I live just down the road from you.....
Until a few months ago I would have happily taken on the job of fixing it for you, however my recent experience of low end Specialzed wheels is "not good"

Can only suggest that you take it apart (using a good quality spoke key please)... If the rim lays flat on a flat surface, and the hub is still OK it may still be worth saving. I'm travelling on business in the USA at present, but if above two conditions are met I can probably sort something out for you when I get back.

that is somewhat of an insane statement - buying a secondhand wheel from EBAY is a pretty good way to throw good money after bad!

or CAN BE a way to throw good money after bad if not careful

However I'm happy that the buyer of my 2nd hand wheels last week paid me a fair price and got some decent little-used basic wheels in good nick

Top Bottom