HELP!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I think I will need an expert opinion on my rim but if I am right then I need to look at a new wheel. But there is about 4mm of side to side 'movement'. You might be wondering what I've done to this poor bike to get it into this state! The block and chain need to be replaced as well. One last request, I currently have Alex S500 rims with 14g Stainless spokes. I want to replace it with something similar if not better i.e. bomb proof! Could someone recommend one please.

Thanks

4mm of movement should be repairable. As long as the rim isn't dented or metal bent then a competent wheel builder should pull it back into shape in about 30 minutes.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
or CAN BE a way to throw good money after bad if not careful
Absolutely. Like everything else on ebay, you just have to be careful and smart and patient. The last wheel I bought was one of these, in perfect, effectively 'good as new' condition, complete with 'good as new'  Shimano Hyperglide cassette: £26. Thanks, that'll do nicely. 

Davidc

Guru
ebay wheels just need the same care exercised as anything else on ebay. My round town mtb has one on the front complete with Shimano dynamo hub, Mavic rim and unknown spokes. No problems yet after the first 1750 miles. A good price for a good wheel. If it had been a duffer I made sure I knew where it was coming from.

Top Bottom