Helping the mechanically inept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mate bought his bike around yesterday as the gearing was clunking and hes not the best at bike maintenance, as soon as i looked at the wheel i could see it was not looking good as i could see maybe 5 mm of the freehub behind the cassette .
Anyway i took the cassette off and the freehub fell off the wheel , the best part is he had took the bike into the LBS to have the rear drop out repaired and was told he needed a new one but they let him ride the bike like that !
You could not even reattach it to the wheel as the nut holding the bearing in were still attached and the freehub lock nut was attached to the wheel but the top that holds the hub in had sheared off .

• Wow
Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit difficult to visualise without a pic but it would seem the freehub and hub have had it. Can you remove the freehub. Might be possible to just replace it. Should come off with a 10mm Allen key. Alternatively if not he’s got two options, buy another hub and lace it onto the existing rim (if it’s in good condition) or buy a complete wheel.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Bit difficult to visualise without a pic but it would seem the freehub and hub have had it. Can you remove the freehub. Might be possible to just replace it. Should come off with a 10mm Allen key. Alternatively if not he’s got two options, buy another hub and lace it onto the existing rim (if it’s in good condition) or buy a complete wheel.
the freehub along with the 2 nuts holding the bearings in place literally fell off leaving the bolt that holds the freehub on connected to the axle .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
the freehub along with the 2 nuts holding the bearings in place literally fell off leaving the bolt that holds the freehub on connected to the axle .
Which sounds like it’s the cones and their lock nuts that have become loose and so has the freehub itself or the hub become damaged? You can replace the body. The ball bearings are probably lost. but you can replace them, likewise the axle. Like I said a pic would be useful.

midlife

Guru
Not sure what the bike shop could do? If they said something was knackered and your friend declined to have it fixed then it's up to your friend to ride it or not.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Which sounds like it’s the cones and their lock nuts that have become loose and so has the freehub itself or the hub become damaged? You can replace the body. The ball bearings are probably lost. but you can replace them. Like I said a pic would be useful.
sorry he bought it yesterday and didnt take a piccie , been quoted £45 by another LBS to sort it new freehub and bearings , i will let them sort it as they will know which hub to use (looks like a standard shimano one )

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Not sure what the bike shop could do? If they said something was knackered and your friend declined to have it fixed then it's up to your friend to ride it or not.
they said it needs replacing but didnt say not to ride it when they changed the cassette for him apparently

Top Bottom