Hercules Commuter path racer replica project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarryG

Picked up a hercules commuter last week off of EBay and could not decide whether to leave it alone or to do something different with it.

$_1.jpeg

After browsing on the net, I have decided to attempt a path racer replica, by just making a few simple changes.

So, tonight I have removed the mudguards, swapped over the handlebars, raised the seat post and changed the saddle which is far to big and needs to be changed at some point for a Brooks, although I may put a Dawes grand tourer on in the mean time. Changed the grips and used tin foil on the back rim.

downloadfile.jpeg

Going to be ordering a pair of Schwalbe Delta cruisers in cream to go on it and also replace the brake blocks, keeping the chainguard on and leaving it as a three speed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Your money, your bike.

If it were mine I would certainly have kept it as it was.

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

As I paid very little for this thanks to ebay, it was always going to be an open canvas.

The original seat was not on it upon collection and the and the mudguards were the metal looking plastic ones from the eighties and Mr rust had really gone to town, but just on the handlebars.

Fortunately everything on it so far was already in the shed.

Easy enough to change back if I decide to.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it long enough to be a good path racer or will you need to change stem and seat post to get the length?

I'd be inclined to aim for a more upright roadster layout but that's what I like ;-)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have similar plans for my 86 Raleigh 'courier' and the original SA 3 speed is currently having a 700c rim laced on but I also plan to be able to remove the rear wheel and gear shifter/cabling so it'll also have a single speed or fixed wheel option so I can be 'trendy' if I want (maybe on a flip/flop hub)
The front wheel will be similar as I plan on using a Shimano hub dyno wheel with again the option of just using a standard one when its in 'trendyfart' mode :becool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Just got the cream delta cruisers for it and a dawes grand tourer saddle. Tyres will probably have to wait to go on as they are a present.

All in all including the purchase of the bike, my total build cost is £67.

Don't think that's to bad at all.

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

New saddle, tyres and brake blocks finally fitted, will try to get a pic on later.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Raleigh 'courier' is starting to come on, got the rear wheel back from John (700c rim laced to original SA 3 speed hub) and got a 'pressie' from him a genuine SA cone spanner that's been in a box for over 60 years to his knowledge (funny little thing about two and a half inches long with S.A. CONE SPANNER stamped into it) talk about NOS, apparently they are a funny/unique size. :biggrin:
Next thing is to get the Shimano hub-dyno laced onto a matching rim if I get some money tomorrow (I like to pay up front just in case the sick pay doesn't come through)

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Sounds good, I'm debating whether to change the wheels at some point, thinking about single speed with a coaster brake, to expensive at the moment, unless I can find one cheaper somewhere.

Anyone know what can cause the brake caliper to move back into position, only happening on one side?

midlife

Guru
The callipers might be sticking or the spring is not equal. Try using a pair of thin pliers to pull the spring out a bit on the side that is staying on the rim.. Unhook it first before pulling it out to increase tension. Then hook back into place. Other trick is to rotate the brake slightly using a hammer and drift.

Shaun

Top Bottom