Hercules. My First Folder

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by Hugh Manatee, 9 Sep 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

Just a sneak preview. I will take some better photos tomorrow, weather permitting! The date on the hub says 1981. Not in bad condition; odd bits of rust here and there including the rims.

Fairly certain the rear tyre is original. It was some impressive splits. Here it is as collected in a folded state:

image.jpeg

You can see I have tried cleaning the rim in one section to see how deep the rust is.

2. midlife

midlife Veteran

Very smart :smile:. Does it say Hunter on the seat tube?

Hugh Manatee likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

It says Compact.

I have had a quick test ride. There is play in the cranks on every revolution. I will get the cotter pins out and dismantle the bottom bracket to check out the bearings.

4. simongt

simongt Über Member

At least with this bike, most of the maintenance is pretty straighforward. If you have a good LBS, they can strip and service the Sturmey hub for you. :thumbsup:

Hugh Manatee likes this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

That should be fun. I guess this might be amongst the last of the Hercules Raleigh line using the name.

Hugh Manatee likes this.
  6. midlife

midlife Veteran

Thanks, I'm sure the non folder was a Hercules Hunter :smile:

Hugh Manatee likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

I'll do it myself. There is a very good video on YouTube. I'll find a link later but I do remember the chap is in a cold garage and is wearing fingerless gloves. I followed that last time I did a 1968 hub and even managed to replace a broken pawl spring. Land Rover diff oil is what I use to reassemble the hub.

It's the usual fight with the cotters that I'm not looking forward to. I had to sensors to a vice last time.

8. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Very nice and original , a mate of mine buys these and fits them out with drop bars and flogs them to the trendy people in London for commuting

Hugh Manatee and Drago like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

OK chaps, I'll start this here rather than begin a new thread in Mechanics!

I think the wrong size cotter has been put in. It has been pulled in flush and the crank still has a loose spot.

Plan A was to wallop it with a hammer. Fail.
    Plan B was to wallop it with a big hammer. Fail.
    Plan C is the vice and socket trick:

image.jpeg

This too is a Fail.

I will try a longer lever but, I don't want to risk breaking the vice.

Plan D is heat. How much heat can I use without destroying the chrome?

biggs682 likes this.
  10. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

that looks serious to me

Hugh Manatee likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

Guess which one was harder to get out:

image.jpeg

12. Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie Guru

This looks great. I'm in the middle of moving house but once done, my first project will be to get a Twenty/ folder and upgrade with some modern parts, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Hugh Manatee and dave r like this.
  13. midlife

midlife Veteran

Are you J R Hartley :smile:

GM, Hugh Manatee and classic33 like this.
  14. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Will it be one pair or two, when you replace them?

As for treating a book like that....

Hugh Manatee likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

I got a pair of cotters (anyone else think of Rab C Nesbitt?) from the local Raleigh dealer today. He said he went to the factory once and that the workers fire the cotters into place with a sort of gun! Compressed air if anything I would think. That one took so much force and it laughed at me. It didn't laugh at the cobalt drill bits I used on it though!

Panic not, that is just a catalogue. I recently purchased a few (more!!) books including the Irish Mayflies one. I am into tying Irish style flies at the moment. I really need to tie some more daddy long legs though.

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice