Hercules. My First Folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Just a sneak preview. I will take some better photos tomorrow, weather permitting! The date on the hub says 1981. Not in bad condition; odd bits of rust here and there including the rims.

Fairly certain the rear tyre is original. It was some impressive splits. Here it is as collected in a folded state:

image.jpeg

You can see I have tried cleaning the rim in one section to see how deep the rust is.

midlife

Guru
Very smart :smile:. Does it say Hunter on the seat tube?

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Very smart :smile:. Does it say Hunter on the seat tube?

It says Compact.

I have had a quick test ride. There is play in the cranks on every revolution. I will get the cotter pins out and dismantle the bottom bracket to check out the bearings.

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
At least with this bike, most of the maintenance is pretty straighforward. If you have a good LBS, they can strip and service the Sturmey hub for you. :thumbsup:

I'll do it myself. There is a very good video on YouTube. I'll find a link later but I do remember the chap is in a cold garage and is wearing fingerless gloves. I followed that last time I did a 1968 hub and even managed to replace a broken pawl spring. Land Rover diff oil is what I use to reassemble the hub.

It's the usual fight with the cotters that I'm not looking forward to. I had to sensors to a vice last time.

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
OK chaps, I'll start this here rather than begin a new thread in Mechanics!

I think the wrong size cotter has been put in. It has been pulled in flush and the crank still has a loose spot.

Plan A was to wallop it with a hammer. Fail.
Plan B was to wallop it with a big hammer. Fail.
Plan C is the vice and socket trick:

image.jpeg

This too is a Fail.

I will try a longer lever but, I don't want to risk breaking the vice.

Plan D is heat. How much heat can I use without destroying the chrome?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
OK chaps, I'll start this here rather than begin a new thread in Mechanics!

I think the wrong size cotter has been put in. It has been pulled in flush and the crank still has a loose spot.

Plan A was to wallop it with a hammer. Fail.
Plan B was to wallop it with a big hammer. Fail.
Plan C is the vice and socket trick:

View attachment 372898

This too is a Fail.

I will try a longer lever but, I don't want to risk breaking the vice.

Plan D is heat. How much heat can I use without destroying the chrome?

that looks serious to me

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Will it be one pair or two, when you replace them?

As for treating a book like that....

I got a pair of cotters (anyone else think of Rab C Nesbitt?) from the local Raleigh dealer today. He said he went to the factory once and that the workers fire the cotters into place with a sort of gun! Compressed air if anything I would think. That one took so much force and it laughed at me. It didn't laugh at the cobalt drill bits I used on it though!

Panic not, that is just a catalogue. I recently purchased a few (more!!) books including the Irish Mayflies one. I am into tying Irish style flies at the moment. I really need to tie some more daddy long legs though.

Top Bottom