Here we have it folks, conclusive proof that bikes are better than busses in P'boro!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I had a fuuny if not alarming moment on oilmills rd Ramsey mereside..I was on the left side of the road going to Ramsey to play golf,It was early 7,15 am and summer so plenty of light..big black Audi estate with Lithuainia plate.
he was travaling towards me on my side of the road in his left hooker..I swerved to the right to avoid him ,he blasted me with his horn and shook his fist..lol guess he woke upin lituainia that day..
I drive that road every work day...you do see some hideous driving occasionally. Chatteris bound, foggy and dark, visibility maybe 30 yards and safe speed seemed 30mph MAXIMUM. Audi overtook me, plus the three cars in front, utterly on a wing and a prayer that no-one was oncoming. UTTERLY utterly suicidal, blind for 10 seconds at maybe 50 or 60 mph.
While it was a UK plated car, its typical of the age and type of vehicle the east europeans choose, it was three or four up...id have wagered it was east europeans on the way to work.
That said, I work in a factory with probably 90% immigrant workers and the many are fine drivers...but the bad ones are really..really bad.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I gave up motorcycling 2 yr ago for this reason..decided its only a matter of time before I used my Doner Card.
Some bloody scary drivers around these days. Can't blame it all on eastern europeans but they usually do a runner if they hit you as no ins or tax...so pleased we have the ANPR now so at least cars are getting crushed when a purge is carried out..but I guess this is everywhere now..mind you 2k to insure a young driver !! I spose its inevitable as a car cost 500..

Only been here 2 1/2 years probably not enough to say for certain but I've never had a problem in rural west Peterborough/ Northamptonshire but I've had too many close ones with bellends at roundabouts in the city (Peterborough has too many :angry: it seems to be a new town thing :sad:) I've never been endanger in the Fens but Ive seen some crazy driving there I think because the roads are so straight (=high speed). Craziest one I saw was on a night ride, somewhere near Oilsmill Road a bellend (common theme for the Fen/City drivers) decided to overtake our fast moving (circa 25mph +) Peleton, gave us plenty of room but straight into another driver who had to slam on their brakes. Although it was dark visibility to the oncoming lit car would have been excellent.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wife comes from Wolverton which was swallowed up by Mk..
roundabouts....indicators. selfish people that block exits and Do not entre junctions unless its clear grrr..now theres a topic ?..so many modern cars dont have indicators , perhaps we need an App for that lol
narrow straight and subsidence on fen roads are a recipe for disaster..but the new pboro spalding road is just as deadly, dispite being new and having All the new safety thinking applied..new road same morons nowt changes..

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
I first came to live in Peterborough in 1990 coming from a very rough housing estate in Dublin, I found Peterborough a very nice place to live, at first I lived in some of the less desirable areas.....then and now Peterborough is no way near or close to being a dump..there are some really nice places to live in the city, its biggest problem and its never going to change is the poor planning and design of the townships especially the Ortons and Bretton....Peterborough has a lot to offer, its all there for those prepared to make the best of it....

+1, but you have to realise the poster who said Peterborough is a 'dump' (FWIW, I like the insinuation that all Eastern European drivers are maniacs. Nice bit of generalisation there), prefers to live in a city with a creaking infrastructure with roads that are hilariously overrun with traffic combined with undergrads on bikes that have the road sense of seaweed, the whole place is an accident blackspot. I avoid Cambridge like the plague and given it's piss poor 'attempt' to host the TDF earlier this year confirmed to me that it's got it's head firmly up it's own backside. Living fairly near both cities, I know which one I'd rather live in.

Tony.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
avoid Cambridge like the plague and given it's piss poor 'attempt' to host the TDF earlier this year confirmed to me that it's got it's head firmly up it's own backside.

Tony.

Ha ha ha- too right. It has to be Britain's most over-rated town by a long way. If I were a tourist arriving at that sh!thole of a train station, I'd turn right around and get straight on the first train back!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I like cambridge for a shopping day and a run out But its park and ride if we go ....
place is bonkers in a car ,and I decided never to contract there ever again after a few attempts..that bloody A14...nah

gbb

Legendary Member
Three years ive driven Oilmills Road (funny and also eye opening how three posters have mentioned this very road).. and as an earlier poster said, many Fen roads are quite straight...quite, but bumpy with odd bends etc...and drivers do rocket down them...why do you think the Forty Foot (just off Oilmills Road) has average speed cameras...because its claimed so many lives from excess speed, loss of control, smashes and ultimately...you end up in a watery grave. My wife absolutely detests even the mention of the Forty Foot.
Thats said, most people get home ok....but I used to part commute by bike, and even on the quieter Fen road from Benwick to Chatteris...you never really felt safe in fog or the dark because of the speed people do on unlit, occasionally narrow roads.
Why do East Europeans get mentioned so much some may ask...because the Fens are littered with packhouses...my work has probably 90% immigrant workers...most packhouses are the same. Unfortunately many of them dont understand the concept of safety, on the road or at work...you'll frequently find they block emergency exits or clamber about on pallets, pressure wash live electrical cabinets within an inch of its life etc etc etc. Id consider many of them good work colleagues, friendly, hard working, etc but...self preservation isnt one of their fortes.

Top Bottom