Hereford on a hybrid (From Swansea)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I complete a cycling charity challenge each year (Cotswolds 50 mile bike ride earlier year)
Next year, I am considering a ride to Hereford from my home town of Swansea.

I am looking for any tips regarding the route and the best time of year to give it a go. (Not too bothered by the cold/rain)
I am 49, ride a Specialized Roll 'Elite' and generally do around 50 miles a week across two trips plus a small jaunt to work and back each day.
This will be my longest ride by around 25 miles.

All advice and guidance received with thanks.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hi @snertos999. I've got a few suggestions but it depends what is most important to you. I'm guessing that you mean on-road? Do you enjoy hilly terrain or seek to minimize it? It looks like a bike that gives you a fairly upright position. Do you have wide tyres on it or have you swapped them for something leaner?

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Hi @snertos999. I've got a few suggestions but it depends what is most important to you. I'm guessing that you mean on-road? Do you enjoy hilly terrain or seek to minimize it? It looks like a bike that gives you a fairly upright position. Do you have wide tyres on it or have you swapped them for something leaner?
It's a sit up and beg bike and I am not completely averse to hills but would minimise if at all possible.
I prefer quieter routes/cycle paths on my normal rides.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Should be a doddle! Distance of around 80 miles so easily doable in a day. The hybrid thing is almost irrelevant and the tyres look reasonably smooth. Plenty of gear range for any hills along the way. All you need to do is pick a route you are happy with.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We were in Herefordshire ten days ago, not on bikes, and it was our first visit. My only advice would be to take to the back roads. The countryside is stunningly beautiful and the roads are empty. A real treat.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Quite a tricky one. As you'll know, you have to get over the Brecon Beacons somewhere, and the few roads that make the crossing do tend to funnel the traffic. There are minor roads making the crossing as well, but they will dump you on the A40 or similar somewhere. So I doubt if there's an ideal route, and some compromise will be needed.

I think I'd look at heading for Brecon via Pontardawe, then to Hay via Llangors. After Hay you're spolit for choice.

After Dan-yr-Ogof in the Swansea valley there's a very nice minor road to Trecastle. That's on the A40, but with a fair wind you can be in Brecon pretty quickly from there. I see there's a minor road to Brecon on the north side of the river Usk, but I don't know it. I imagine it will be much harder work, but pretty.

Edit: I put the route I described into RwGPS, including the minor road from Trecastle to Brecon, and it came to 80 miles with 4370 feet of climbing. Just the one big climb, which is long and steady, and the summit is at 25 miles.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What I would do is start early, hope for a brisk south-westerly, and head out of town up the Swansea Valley on the B4603 (you can take the NCN 43 if you like but it's slower), continue on the A4067 from Ynysmeudwy or Ystalyfera onwards and grab a quick cup of tea at Craig Y Nos. All of that seems flat if you have a tailwind, then there's one of those nasty drags up past Dan yr Ogof to the Crai reservoir, that doesn't look as if it's going up much at all but reduces you to about 5mph. Although the Trecastle road mentioned by Aravis is indeed nice, it's kind of veering in the wrong direction - instead there's a right fork to Heol Senni just by the reservoir - this has one of the best descents in Wales, is quiet and very pretty, and has only one steep uphill bit. You emerge on the A4215 and turn right, then there's a bit of rolling main road which is made more interesting by views of the mountains ahead (which you are going to dodge). A left hand slip road brings you onto the A470 at an unfeasible speed which makes you feel invincible and shocks the traffic you are joining, and from there it's a fast downhill most of the way to Brecon. Avoid the ring road by going into the town and having a second breakfast. After Brecon you have a choice of skirting the Black Mountains to the south or the north - it's swings and roundabouts I think. The B4558 through Talybont is a lovely road but you don't want to get stuck on the A465 into Hereford, and avoiding it will entail hills. My choice would be to skirt around the Skirrid and go up through Grosmont - I will give that a little more thought as I don't know the Hereford end that well...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I can't disagree with the Heol Senni suggestion. I don't think I've ever ridden it - I've crossed it few times having come over from Ystradfellte - and it's profile looks less intimidating that I thought it was.

However, if you head for Abergavenny after Brecon I think your roundabout is a lot longer than your swing, so to speak, and you still have to decide whether to avoid the A465 or not. Even if you take the minor road around the back of the Sugar Loaf (which does have a lot going for it) and head up the A465 I still make it that you're adding almost ten miles to the Hay route.

I don't think I'd brave the A470 after Brecon nowadays, though I know I used to when young and carefree. But there a good alternative to the south passing close to Llangors Lake. After Hay most of your problems are behind you, the Golden Valley route being perhaps the most appealing, though the B4352 which roughly parallels it to the north is good too - a little quieter maybe.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Many thanks for all the detailed and knowledgeable responses.
I am going to take a cycle track I have used before until it runs out beyond Pontardawe and onwards past Dan Yr Ogof and on to Brecon and will awaiting theclaud's further thoughts beyond there!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25868919
All fairly pleasant apart from final bit along the A465 into Hereford you could take to the path which runs all the way along for that if traffic was heavy when you arrive. Not sure if its officially shared use or not.

Loads of cafes pubs etc in Hay on Wye and a shop in Peterchurch.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Many thanks for all the detailed and knowledgeable responses.
I am going to take a cycle track I have used before until it runs out beyond Pontardawe and onwards past Dan Yr Ogof and on to Brecon and will awaiting theclaud's further thoughts beyond there!
I reckon Banjo and Aravis are right, and that my initial thought about going via Abergavenny was more led by a fondness for a particular stretch of road than by smart route thinking. The route suggested by Banjo above makes use of the Golden Valley, which is a really nice section and very easy riding. Personally I'd have to iron out the section between Brecon and Talgarth a bit but if you want to cut down on main road sections then his route might be the best option.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Agree with you @theclaud the road down from Becon through Talybont and onto Abergavenny is a beautiful ride of seemingly endless gentle downhill but the roads then up to and through Grosmont are pretty steep in places .

After Brecon the easiest route would be A470 then A438 to Glasbury I have been that way quite happily but not sure about the OPs preferences re quiet roads or quicker roads.

Top Bottom