Here's one I prepared earlier: Children's Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirsten

Loved this! I'm hoping to let my son ride to school on his bike, and me on mine (when I get one). I think we'll enjoy these rides together. I've also enquired about a local bikeability course for both of us to go on, since although I know how to ride a bike etc, I think it would be good for us both to have training on how to ride safely from someone qualified to give said training. I'm looking forward to it!

william_just

Cycling to School
More children need to cycle to school. Fifty percent of children in Denmark do so. It improves children's health and development, and reduces traffic congestion and pollution. It's only by encouraging youngsters to cycle more that cycle usage will grow in the future. Indeed, the present level of cycle usage will drop if today's children don't stick with cycling as they grow into adulthood.

Excellent thread. And I think the quote above hits the nail firmly on the head. THIS should be the nexus of cycle campaigning! Getting kids riding bikes must be normalised. I take my hat off to anyone who trusts their kids to cycle around town on their own.

If anyone's interested I've written a picture book for kids on this very subject, entitled "Young Bikers Cycle to School".

You can see it here: http://yngbkrz.tumblr.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Walker

That's a good thread. I didn't give any thought to the balance bike for my 2 young boys who have just recently made the transition from stunt scooters to bikes. My wife does not drive so the morning commute to schools is a mile cycle/scooter ride. We have some beautiful cycle trails within a short drive from my house. Can't wait until we can all do it as a family.

That's a good thread. I didn't give any thought to the balance bike for my 2 young boys who have just recently made the transition from stunt scooters to bikes. My wife does not drive so the morning commute to schools is a mile cycle/scooter ride. We have some beautiful cycle trails within a short drive from my house. Can't wait until we can all do it as a family.
Go for it, mate!

There's only one crucial health warning missing.

By God, you MISS it once the kids are grown up and left home!

Trying to persuade the older ones to get their acts together with their respective partners, so I can teach THEIR kids. But, damn'em, they're resisting. Seem to think there are other priorities in life.

mcnute

[QUOTE 1857019, member: 1314"]Good thread.

My 12 year old cycled by himself from home to Richmond Park (London) and back some weeks ago. 10 miles. First ever solo ride. He's on a cheap 2nd hand MTB, though. I'll buy him a nicer bike soon, once I know he's going to use it more (probably Summer). I did offer him my langster (before I sold it) to take to school but his response was:

"Dad. It's my first year at big school and it's 6 miles away in rush-hour traffic. I'm 11 (as he was then) and don't want to ride there on a fixed. I'm taking the buses."

Which was a fair point.[/QUOTE]
Wise guy your little one!

Top Bottom