Holiday/travel insurance for over 80s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deuxfois

Having cycled in Europe every year for many years I am hoping to get back across the Channel this year after the Covid hiatus. I'm fit, healthy, experienced and will be ready to go from about May onwards. My riding might include short tours alone on with a companion, or perhaps an organised week-long supported ride with a European cycling group (non-commercial). I also take a bike for half-day rides when on holiday with my wife. In the past I've used EBE several times, but more usually I drive from home to a starting point somewhere in France.

The problem arises when it comes to insurance. I've always relied on the EHIC and my bank's holiday insurance, which ceased last October when I passed 80. It seems essential to have cover for medical expenses and possible repatriation, and especially so as you get older. I really don't want to stop doing what I love, but I need to try and sort out how to get decent cover before venturing forth.

I'd be grateful to hear other people's experience and advice on dealing with this.

Sharky

Guru
You've reminded me that I should apply for a GHIC card. Haven't been abroad for a few years and then I had the E111 card.

Just googled AVIVA
https://www.aviva.co.uk/faq/answer/travel-insurance/3240/

Seems that they will take each request on an individual basis.

Cheers

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Fastpedaller has hit the nail on the head. Any insurer that takes on a 80+ year old cycling in France really needs to charge a hefty premium. You'll have to decide whether it's worth it or not.

OP
OP
D

deuxfois

@Fastpedaller has hit the nail on the head. Any insurer that takes on a 80+ year old cycling in France really needs to charge a hefty premium. You'll have to decide whether it's worth it or not.
You seem to assume that I'd be doing something really risky. It doesn't feel like that to me. I have far more concerns about riding in the UK than I do in rural France. Agreed, it's a long way from home if something does go wrong, but the odds are pretty long. You're right that an insurer will 'want' to charge a high premium; they exist to make money. Whether they 'need' to is somewhat different.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Just go anyway and say to your family if you pass away in France get them to just pay for a basic cremation and ship the ashes over. Lets face it at over 80 if you have a bad accident your a goner anyway most likley.So you wont need insurance. I'd just go if I were you.

Top Bottom