'Hero' cyclists in local news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Having seen a person in cardiac arrest vomit into the mouth of their rescuer, I truly believe that performing CPR is heroic.

Having seen a person in cardiac arrest vomit into the mouth of their rescuer, I truly believe that performing CPR is heroic.
Yeah, that's a good point. The nearest I came to CPR was an old guy, with grey whiskers and a rapidly greying face, collapsing with an asthma attack on a city street. I'd just got my first aid certificate, so knew what i had to do. Never been so happy to see someone run out of a building with a first aid kit.

But it all pales compared to the horrible story out of Ireland on the weekend, of a car driving into the ocean (accident) and a man stripping and jumping into the North Atlantic, the driver handed his baby to the stranger and because the rest of the family couldn't get out of the car, he went back down to join them/save them/I don't know what. That stranger and that father are heroes on a different scale.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Maybe enrolling in a first aid course should be heroic
Gaining and maintaining a knowledge of basic first aid for emergency situations should be a civic duty (ie the duty/responsibility of every citizen).

@jefmcg you're right: both those men displayed heroism. I sincerely hope the baby lives, and not just posthumously to reward the driver/father's bravery and unselfishness.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Either that, or they hadn't got his airway open properly and were inflating the stomach causing a reflux............. which then may lead to aspiration of the stomach contents, not a pleasant outcome either way.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Vomit is good, surely - on the way to breathing restarted. But (hopefully) a sign of a life saving 'result'. EDIT: see @Cubist comment below. Checking the airway is clear (ie of obstruction including any vomit - fingers rather than tyre lever) and open (neck tilted well back) before starting resuscitation is the best way to ensure the pathway to the lungs is open and the oesophagus closed. Check that the lungs are inflating and the stomach is not. Worked the time I had to use it.

Clear it all out of the airway and check for breathing. Though to be avoided, I'll take vomit in the mouth rather than the collapsed person dying 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Vomit is good, surely - on the way to breathing restarted. But (hopefully) a sign of a life saving 'result'. Clear it all out of the airway and check for breathing. Though to be avoided, I'll take vomit in the mouth rather than the collapsed person dying 10 times out of 10.
No, vomiting during CPR is very much a danger sign. It means that the CPR is being done incorrectly. The breath should enter the lungs, not the oesophagus. If breath is being forced in so hard that it can enter the stomach, there is a very real danger of overinflating and bursting the lungs. What's more, the presence of vomit or stomach contents in the airway very commonly leads to infection/pneumonia. The vomiting isn't a reflex, it's simply a mechanical result of the presence of air forcing the contents back out, so isn't a sign that the patient is recovering.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I've had to do CPR on a number of occasions and only last month, during one stage of this year's Le Tour De Cochon (a cycling pub crawl around Suffolk), had to give first-aid to a drunk local who'd collapsed and hit his head in a pub car park, while organising a paramedic to come check him. To my mind, First Aid is all about proper training and acquiring the confidence to handle the situation. And while it provides a sense of fulfilment to help someone in need, I can't quite see it as heroic. I'd recommend a Basic Life Support course to anyone - I get a yearly refresher courtesy of the part-time job I do, but I suspect most firms could arrange this for anyone interested.

Sara_H

Guru
Either that, or they hadn't got his airway open properly and were inflating the stomach causing a reflux............. which then may lead to aspiration of the stomach contents, not a pleasant outcome either way.
The rescuer being an APLS instructor and ICU practitioner of 25 years standing - I think he'd got his airway opening maneuvers pretty much sussed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom