Hey- Brompton Bicycle Co.!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
FolderBeholder

FolderBeholder

In all fairness, Moulton sell essentially a single frame (albeit with a non-separable option) with a variety of gearing options.
As do Brompton. They're both happy to work within their niche.
In all fairness, Moulton sell essentially a single frame (albeit with a non-separable option) with a variety of gearing options.
As do Brompton. They're both happy to work within their niche.
Not to split hairs, but they also offer builds with different tires, aimed at different types of riding. Not revolutionary....evolutionary.
Like a great cook tweaking a great recipe....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
True but I think it's an interesting point and worthy of discussion. I always wonder how Brompton will carry on with just one product in various forms and special editions.
They have done it for years and it doesnt seem to be slowing down. What suprises me is that some Brompton owners have multiple Bromptons.

ukoldschool

I personally took this thread in the spirit it was intended, not sure why some people are so grumpy /\/\/\ but thats life, you get grumpy gits everywhere.

I do a gravel track a few times a week on my B on Marathon plus, its quite fast and downhill with some fast (ish) bends that could always have a dog walker around them, and theres no doubt in my mind that a knobbly tyre would suit this particular application much better, but then it would be terrible on normal roads, so I just live with it and make sure the bike is as straight and upright as its possible to be (I am desperate to beat the 'course record' on this trail, but I cant see how I can find 13 seconds to beat a 'proper' downhill biker that currently is the fastest :smile: )

Last edited:
OP
OP
FolderBeholder

FolderBeholder

They have done it for years and it doesnt seem to be slowing down. What suprises me is that some Brompton owners have multiple Bromptons.
If thats true (as in if you have stats to support that comment...despite quoting their move to a new, larger factory. There may be some underlying other reason predicating that as well) that doesn’t mean it will/can continue.

Most bicycle enthusiasts are multiple bicycle owners, Brompton owners are simply a part of that same subset.
I own 3 bikes atm, all folders, and only one Brompton. I dont desire another*, and adore the one I have.
But...it’s not perfect, nor without areas which could be refined.

(*I’d like a Moulton XTB truth-be-told. And a Rivendell. And a mini-velo. And a....)

Brompton offers essentially the same, single product it started with some 40 years ago, and nothing more. Certainly the bicycle business has and continues to change (the introduction of an electrified Brompton is a step forward though, but it’s still intended to serve the same niche of the market the standard one is) and most manufacturers respond to those changes by broadening their offerings.

The demise of the likes of Eastman Kodak and Polaroid come to mind as single-focused (no pun intended) companies which didnt embrace changing tastes in photography or not soon enough anyway to stay viable after being at the top of their games.

Tenkaykev

Guru

That'd be my good lady wife, got a Black / Berry Crush C bag at a really good price so got a new Purple Brommie to go with it.
Turns out the new bike has S bars so the bag won't fit

Tenkaykev

Guru
Love the purple...

My wife has named her other Brommie "Badger". Why Badger? I asked.
"Because it's Cream" was her reply, "and it's got Disraeli Gears"

The new one has yet to arrive but my wife is already referring to it as "Jennifer"
(after Jennie Joseph, who wrote the Poem " Warning")

Last edited:
Brompton have always been glacial in the pace of product development. They will not change a thing unless it demonstrably improves the bike. It took years and years of nagging by dealers before they began offering anything more than black/red paint. So good luck persuading them to fit a kickstand bracket any time in the next decade.

You're not the first person to imagine a better Brompton. If you really think there's a great untapped market for a Brompton kick-stand bracket why not go ahead and design it, manufacturer it and bring it to market? There are plenty of folks offering Brompton hop-up parts.

Top Bottom