Hey- Brompton Bicycle Co.!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I don't have a C bag, but after going with moustache bars found the big shopping bag works just fine with no bar interference on the bag. It also allows for road type brake levers with a release. One of my improvement wishes would be for brakes that have a release as most sidepulls do. I would also like option of wider tires, but I've read posts in which the 349 rims were replaced with 305s and larger tires, ending up with same diameter wheel after the tire is included in measurement. I have often wondered why Bromptons are made with lighter steel, 4130 chrome moly or one of the Reynolds alloys. Does anyone know the reasoning behind using high tensile steel other than expense?

OP
OP
FolderBeholder

FolderBeholder

Brompton have always been glacial in the pace of product development. They will not change a thing unless it demonstrably improves the bike. It took years and years of nagging by dealers before they began offering anything more than black/red paint. So good luck persuading them to fit a kickstand bracket any time in the next decade.

You're not the first person to imagine a better Brompton. If you really think there's a great untapped market for a Brompton kick-stand bracket why not go ahead and design it, manufacturer it and bring it to market? There are plenty of folks offering Brompton hop-up parts.

Yup, Brompton hop-up parts are a dime-a-dozen so to speak. Most of them are just that...while they may exceptionally well-crafted, they aren't necessarily exceptionally well integrated into the function and DNA of the product they are intended for.

I must be naive, because I find many aftermarket parts are almost always a compromise in quality, compatibility, functionality or any combination of the same. This isn't just applying to Brompton aftermarket goodies....I've had the same experience for years on Vespa and other motorcycle aftermarket stuff, as well as items for many of the automobiles I've owned over the years. Hence my shout-out hereto the actual MANUFACTURER.

While they may be glacial in their pace to refine their products, when they do it's typically done as well as it's going to be done, works in concert with(or improves upon) the rest of the functions of the machine and with the full attention to their product's entire reputation in mind (most aftermarket suppliers don't take that X-factor into account). Again, this doesnt just apply to Brompton.

As an example: Leatherman, an American manufacturer of multi-tools, has actually produced new products based on many modifications posted on forums by those who own, love and have modified them. Clearly they have an ear to the tracks in terms of what (else) their client base wants, and then act upon it.

chriscross1966

Über Member
They have done it for years and it doesnt seem to be slowing down. What suprises me is that some Brompton owners have multiple Bromptons.
Why is it a surprise?... I've got five, though one of them is a fixer up to sell... the daily rider, the sunny sunday bike, a daft retro racer, and the chassis of what will be a radical recumbent...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why is it a surprise?... I've got five, though one of them is a fixer up to sell... the daily rider, the sunny sunday bike, a daft retro racer, and the chassis of what will be a radical recumbent...
It suprises me Chris because they are so expensive and very similar to each other. I have 7 bikes but very different to each other.

Schwinnsta

I don't have a C bag, but after going with moustache bars found the big shopping bag works just fine with no bar interference on the bag. It also allows for road type brake levers with a release. One of my improvement wishes would be for brakes that have a release as most sidepulls do. I would also like option of wider tires, but I've read posts in which the 349 rims were replaced with 305s and larger tires, ending up with same diameter wheel after the tire is included in measurement. I have often wondered why Bromptons are made with lighter steel, 4130 chrome moly or one of the Reynolds alloys. Does anyone know the reasoning behind using high tensile steel other than expense?

Hi tensile steel is better for hand brazing the relatively large lugs to on the main frame. I think this is the reason. I would like to see them adopt 355 rims and tires so that wider tires like Birdy has and make bike work for wider tires. I realize it would increase the fold but I think it would be worth it. What is 6 mm among friends. You can get 305 wheels and use them but you will need drop bolts for brake reach.

Rocky

Hello decadence
They have done it for years and it doesnt seem to be slowing down. What suprises me is that some Brompton owners have multiple Bromptons.
I have 2 Bromptons. One titanium M6L with son dyno lights and a lower gearing ratio for touring and a big standard M6R for riding about town.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The difference between being able to squeeze into a small space on a train and not.
That. The main difference between the 313 and 365 trains on my line, is that on the 365 a Brompton will just about fit in the space between seat backs. On a 313 it just about won't.

Top Bottom