Hey from Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I've been looking to get back into cycling recently... used to go out most weekends when I was younger, (now pushing the grand old age of 33!) I moved within cycling distance of work a few months back and pedal-power seems like an ideal way of getting there and back (preferable to the train anyway). So, the more I read on here and about the web, the more I'm leaning towards fixed gear/single-speed. This one has caught my eye, amongst others, but I'm essentially new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated... :smile:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOMAC/on_one_macinato_special_edition

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello fae Dumbarton!! Where abouts in Glasgow are you??

Oh and as for a fixie in Glasgow? Yes, I've seen it done before, but remember, there are all those lovely hills in the surrounding area (even the centre of Glasgow can be steep in places north of the river!).

Still, if you want thighs like Chris Hoy then who am I to stop you? Ha ha!! Welcome!

Thanks to all for the kind welcome ^_^

Hey Doug... It's a small world, I'm also a 'Son of the Rock' :hello:

I recently moved to Anniesland and work in Charing Cross, so wouldn't have to deal with the hills in the very centre of town all that often, if at all... I've walked most of the route before, so I think it should be ok on a fixed gear as it's pretty flat. Lucky I don't live to the East I guess, as I wouldn't be too keen on riding up the hill from the centre of town to my office if I didn't have a low gear! The only hill I ever regularly did on a bike was the one on the cycle path up to the Bowling roundabout from Dumbarton, which isn't exactly a Munro!

Any thoughts on the Macinato as a 'starter' fixed gear, or any other suggestions?

Fubar

Guru
Hi and :welcome: from Dunfermline, there is quite a lively CC Ecosse - keep an eye on the CC Informal Rides and Events section. Regards, Mark

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: Harry_Palmer79 and :welcome: to CycleChat ! :wahhey:

As Fubar says above, we have some informal rides - usually around 40-60km. We'd love to meet you and ride with you.

Regarding the Macinato, I notice it has no lugs for mudguards nor for a rack.
- this may not be an issue - clip-on type mudguards are available, if not as effective.
- have you considered how you will carry your work clothes/'stuff' ?? backpack ??
- are you only going to be using this bike for commuting or is it possible, in the future, that you will want to go further afield ? (like on a CC Ecosse Forum Ride ? :thumbsup:) Having said that, the last-but-one ride we did had 4 on Fixed/SS and 5 with gears - but it was pretty flat :heat:

PlanetX/On-One do make good bikes, though and I know some who have a Pompino, which has both pannier and mudguard lugs - and is on Sale for the same £99 for the frame !

Worth a look.

HTH

Cheshire Celt

Legend
Hello fae Dumbarton!! Where abouts in Glasgow are you??

Oh and as for a fixie in Glasgow? Yes, I've seen it done before, but remember, there are all those lovely hills in the surrounding area (even the centre of Glasgow can be steep in places north of the river!).

Still, if you want thighs like Chris Hoy then who am I to stop you? Ha ha!! Welcome!
Where in Dumbarton are you from I was brought up in castle hill and went to school in st micheals and st pats

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I recently moved to Anniesland and work in Charing Cross, so wouldn't have to deal with the hills in the very centre of town all that often, if at all...

My commute takes me past Charing Cross and up Woodlands Rd on the way to the Uni. Perhaps I'll finally have a reason to post in the "CC'ers spotted on the commute" thread!

jim55

Guru
i stay in glasgow and commute fixed .at present its on 48*16 and on the way home tonite i had to give up and walk ,between the wind (which was seriousley strong ) and the incline (possil rd ,not very steep but it was enough to defeat me tonite (in my defence i went to the gym on the way home and i was like bambi when i left lol).
i commute from springburn to drumoyne and back its a lot easier going than it is coming back !
its very doable ,in fact theres a glasgow fixed gear forum ,,check in there (gfgss in google)
anyway :hello:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hey Doug... It's a small world, I'm also a 'Son of the Rock' :hello:

I recently moved to Anniesland and work in Charing Cross, so wouldn't have to deal with the hills in the very centre of town all that often, if at all... I've walked most of the route before, so I think it should be ok on a fixed gear as it's pretty flat. Lucky I don't live to the East I guess, as I wouldn't be too keen on riding up the hill from the centre of town to my office if I didn't have a low gear! The only hill I ever regularly did on a bike was the one on the cycle path up to the Bowling roundabout from Dumbarton, which isn't exactly a Munro!

True, although Charing Cross? There are some mahoosive hills (by Glasgow City Centre standards) round there going up to Blythswood Square from Anderston, etc etc

Any thoughts on the Macinato as a 'starter' fixed gear, or any other suggestions?

No idea but it looks nice! I personally want a cargo bike instead, but that's just me. :laugh:

Where in Dumbarton are you from I was brought up in castle hill and went to school in st micheals and st pats

Originally High Mains Avenue but now B*nhill Road going up to a certain other estate in Dumbarton beginning with 'B'....... on the other side of the A82 of course!

Top Bottom