Hey y'all, from an American expat in Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CatherineB

Hey, I'm Catherine. I ride my red European City Bike (call it a 'sit-up-and-beg' and I just might smack you ;)) all over Leeds and up and down the canal, rain or shine, every day. In fact, if I go a day without at least a little ride, I get kind of sad and irritable. I suppose there are worse addictions to have!
Anyway, nice to meet you, and if you're in Leeds and you see a chubby little brunette in heels and a skirt puffing her way up a hill on her big red bike, that's me, so give me a wave!

BearPear

Veteran
Hi Catherine,
I sometimes come over to your town for the shopping, and if I see you I'll say hi!

Well done on getting out everyday, I seriously need that kind of commitment.

Bokonon

Über Member
CatherineB said:
if you're in Leeds and you see a chubby little brunette in heels and a skirt puffing her way up a hill on her big red bike, that's me, so give me a wave!

I saw someone mostly fitting that description riding up Victoria Road toward Hyde Park at about 5:40 this evening. Was it you?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Welcome CB! What in the world possessed an American to go to Yorkshire? Even English people don't go to Yorkshire. Oh, and by the way, over here only chaps wear 'underpants'; ladies of the woman variety wear panties.

Bokonon

Über Member
I think I managed to mumble a 'hello' but I didn't wave. Can I make up for it with this: :hello: ?

postman

Legendary Member
Just found 'The Mat' so welcome to all of you .
And i will look out for that superb little/big red bike .
So greetings from Meanwood ,(bordering on Moortown )

So bye from the mailman .As you Americans call us .

OP
OP
CatherineB

CatherineB

Hi Swee'pea, Postie (Mailie?) and Stan! I'm from the small end of Kentucky in a little town no one's ever heard of. I married a Geordie who works in Leeds, so here I am!

Regarding the great underpants vs. p***ies debate: I find the word reprehensible, can barely stand to look at it. It just seems somehow filthy and childish at the same time No aspersions cast on you or your countrymen, as it's common in the States and many perfectly decent people use it. It's just my own personal aversion and probable a reflection of my own state of mind. "Underpants" seems pleasantly neutral to me, though I'm open to non-p**ty alternatives.

Speaking of underclothes and language differences: my first job in Leeds was as site secretary on a big construction project. I was offered the chance to climb to the top of the building crane to enjoy the view, but I was worried that my wardrobe would cause problems on the ladder. "I never wear pants", I said. "I don't even own a pair".

Oh, how those builders laughed. That was the day I learned to use the word "Trousers".

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
CatherineB said:
Regarding the great underpants vs. p***ies debate: I find the word reprehensible, can barely stand to look at it. It just seems somehow filthy and childish at the same time No aspersions cast on you or your countrymen, as it's common in the States and many perfectly decent people use it. It's just my own personal aversion and probable a reflection of my own state of mind. "Underpants" seems pleasantly neutral to me, though I'm open to non-p**ty alternatives.
Catherine - I completely agree with you. Knickers for me too. (Er, the word, that is!) :becool:

Top Bottom