HGV close pass on "cycle paint" murder strip - A38 Almondsbury, Bristol

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Arjimlad, 13 Mar 2019.

1. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

This pass has received a lot of attention on Twitter today & yesterday. (https://twitter.com/JimsWheels)

Tarmac have yet to come back to me with their thoughts. I am hoping it will finally get the council off their backsides to sort out the dangerous "cycle lane" which is adjacent to pinch points and narrowing dual carriageway lanes on this 40mph road. I have been asking them to make changes here since July 2017.

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

There's no way I would use that crappy lane. I would take the whole lane through there to stop any overtakes.

3. Eddy

Eddy Guru

It might not actually be a Tarmac lorry, I know a guy who owns 4 or 5 tippers and a few have Tarmac on them because he does a lot of work for them but he owns them.

Arjimlad and Reiver like this.
  4. Yep. Terrible driving but hold primary to avoid it happening again.

Edwardoka, dave r, PK99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

plenty owner drivers on for them too, - tarmac should still be interested if they're running their livery, but always copy the Traffic Commissioners in with reg number etc. and always let whatever haulier you are writing too know you're involving the TC's fear of god and all that, hauliers/drivers never seem too bothered about police, but the TC's focus their mind, they have serious powers that can't easily be questioned.

6. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

This in spades, if the council do anything they will just end the cycle lane before the junction and then restart again after.

7. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

That's great advice (and I agree - the lane is advisory and it sounds like it has been reported to the highways department for being dangerously bad advice) but the driver still shouldn't close pass. Report it.

Arjimlad likes this.
  8. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

and I doubt that is a tarmac wagon with the private reg plate.

Arjimlad and Eddy like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Arjimlad

Yup - this is owned by a third party haulage company but Tarmac appear to be on to it because it's got their name on.

I have ridden up here 794 times (thanks Strava!) and cannot recall any HGV driver failing to wait for the road to widen out ahead before passing me. Only takes one, though !

Eddy likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Arjimlad

Police say NFA because we both stayed in our lanes !

11. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

That implies that if you hadn't stayed in the 'lane' they might have. Against whom, though, and why?

Against the driver because you wouldn't have had enough room? That can't be right, because you didn't have enough room in the video, and they aren't taking action against the driver, so that must mean they might have taken action against you, but the lane is advisory, so that can't be right either. Did you ask what relevance the fact that you were both in the lane was? Especially in light of the Highway Code saying that cyclists should be given as much room when being overtaken as a car.

S_t_e_v_e, Arjimlad and Reiver like this.
  12. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

This ^

..but I'd probably opt for that pavement.

13. mjr

Then Police have NFC. Time to complain... and I know it's not strictly their job, but I'd also complain to the commissioner about that NFA, preferably in public on social media while cc'ing various local news.

Arjimlad likes this.
  14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

You'd think they'd widen the road a couple of feet, plenty of room to do so. :cursing:

Arjimlad likes this.
  15. mjr

Ah, but this - is - Sparta... sorry, CUBA (Councils that Used to Be Avon), where almost all infrastructure is too much trouble for cycling unless it's dangerous in some way, comes with copious grant funding, or preferably both :sad:

Arjimlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice