HGV close pass on "cycle paint" murder strip - A38 Almondsbury, Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This pass has received a lot of attention on Twitter today & yesterday. (https://twitter.com/JimsWheels)

Tarmac have yet to come back to me with their thoughts. I am hoping it will finally get the council off their backsides to sort out the dangerous "cycle lane" which is adjacent to pinch points and narrowing dual carriageway lanes on this 40mph road. I have been asking them to make changes here since July 2017.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's no way I would use that crappy lane. I would take the whole lane through there to stop any overtakes.

U

User6179

It might not actually be a Tarmac lorry, I know a guy who owns 4 or 5 tippers and a few have Tarmac on them because he does a lot of work for them but he owns them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's no way I would use that crappy lane. I would take the whole lane through there to stop any overtakes.
That's great advice (and I agree - the lane is advisory and it sounds like it has been reported to the highways department for being dangerously bad advice) but the driver still shouldn't close pass. Report it.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It might not actually be a Tarmac lorry, I know a guy who owns 4 or 5 tippers and a few have Tarmac on them because he does a lot of work for them but he owns them.

Yup - this is owned by a third party haulage company but Tarmac appear to be on to it because it's got their name on.

I have ridden up here 794 times (thanks Strava!) and cannot recall any HGV driver failing to wait for the road to widen out ahead before passing me. Only takes one, though !

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That's great advice (and I agree - the lane is advisory and it sounds like it has been reported to the highways department for being dangerously bad advice) but the driver still shouldn't close pass. Report it.

Police say NFA because we both stayed in our lanes !

KneesUp

Guru
Police say NFA because we both stayed in our lanes !
That implies that if you hadn't stayed in the 'lane' they might have. Against whom, though, and why?

Against the driver because you wouldn't have had enough room? That can't be right, because you didn't have enough room in the video, and they aren't taking action against the driver, so that must mean they might have taken action against you, but the lane is advisory, so that can't be right either. Did you ask what relevance the fact that you were both in the lane was? Especially in light of the Highway Code saying that cyclists should be given as much room when being overtaken as a car.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah, but this - is - Sparta... sorry, CUBA (Councils that Used to Be Avon), where almost all infrastructure is too much trouble for cycling unless it's dangerous in some way, comes with copious grant funding, or preferably both :sad:
If only there was someone they could apply to for a grant in order to improve the cycling provision, they've only got to shift the path and the cyclelane a couple of feet ffs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah, but this - is - Sparta... sorry, CUBA (Councils that Used to Be Avon), where almost all infrastructure is too much trouble for cycling unless it's dangerous in some way, comes with copious grant funding, or preferably both :sad:
BTW as it is a 'A' road it's not the Councils responsibility but 'Highways Britain' or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

Top Bottom