HGV lack of indication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I have learn't something and that it to not trust HGVs in any situation. In future I intend to stay well back. My point is that while I should have showed restraint in this case, the driver is still driving his Hgv in an unsafe manner. Perhaps the driver will have learnt something also.

have you also learn't the Highway Code guidance on cross hatched areas with a dashed line?

Enter only if necessary and you can see it is safe to do so.

Do you think either applied in this case?

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
have you also learn't the Highway Code guidance on cross hatched areas with a dashed line?

Enter only if necessary and you can see it is safe to do so.

Do you think either applied in this case?

I entered because I thought it was safe. The basis of my mistake was to trust the Hgv would be stopping behind the two stationary buses in front of him.

PK99

Legendary Member
I entered because I thought it was safe. The basis of my mistake was to trust the Hgv would be stopping behind the two stationary buses in front of him.

"Thought it was safe"

Could you see that is was safe (HWC 130) clearly not as you were so close t the back of the HGV you could not have proper sight lines past to see the obstruction ahead and anticipate.
stop-digging.jpg

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
"Thought it was safe"

Could you see that is was safe (HWC 130) clearly not as you were so close t the back of the HGV you could not have proper sight lines past to see the obstruction ahead and anticipate.

I think I've answered that one already. Thank you for your input.

After 7 pages, I am not sure if OP realises that the majority of viewers would not attempt this in the first place and for a very good reason. And it has nothing to do with what the HGV was going do.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The footage even shows a sticker on the rear of the lorry asking cyclists to stay back.
This bit, as part of a response from the police, annoys me.
I have to admit I am happier that the 'stay back' sticker campaign is running rather than there be no attempt to enlighten uneducated cyclists about the dangers of approaching a truck from behind and getting alongside. If this campaign saves 1 single life then it has been worth it. On the other hand if an idiot, who is already well aware of these dangers, chooses to ignore the sensible warning then they should not be surprised if their peers and the authorities turn around and point out their folly.
Conversely, neither should the presence of such a sticker be used by the driver as an excuse to be less vigilant or be presumed to be a method of passing blame to another road user. I believe they are simply what they appear to be, with no ulterior motive, a sticker asking the following road user to think before they act.

What is so annoying about that?

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
[QUOTE 3537581, member: 45"]You could see the busses up ahead and could have anticipated the driver doing this.

Sorry I didn't come in with this earlier and save 8 pages.[/QUOTE]

No darting between the taxi stand never occured to me, had it I doubt I would have ridden so dangerously.

Origamist

Legendary Member
No darting between the taxi stand never occured to me, had it I doubt I would have ridden so dangerously.

I think quite a few people would not have anticipated the HGV's change of direction, even some people posting on this thread may have been surprised!

With so many road users competing for tarmac and seizing every opportunity to stay ahead and maintain momentum in traffic congested cities, it's worth looking for gaps ahead - not necessarily so you can take advantage of them, but to consider the consequences if someone else ducks into them. From my own experience, I try to associate empty road space with potential danger, be it a gap in queuing traffic near a junction, or gap to filter on the right/left, or space ahead of me before the next vehicle, because the absence of a vehicle in that space can often be fleeting, as others want to exploit it too (and when it's a HGV driver like in the video, it's even more dangerous for everyone else on the road).

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member

Surely it should have done?

On bike or in car, if there is a line of busses stopped on the left at a Stop, then sure as eggs is eggs then traffic will pull out to pass them, then one or other of the busses will pull out as well.

You seem to have failed to anticipate BOTH, in your race to Get In Front

I observe two distinct groups (there are others also) among cycle cammers.
The likes of Gaz and SW19 whose cycling is mostly exemplary and when it isn't they post self admonishing videos of their own errors
People who have had problems on the road, think their cycling is exemplary and blame drivers for incidents they have. but actually are themselves are at fault in many of the incidents they show. You and Droid slot neatly into that category.

Top Bottom