HGV lack of indication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
Not if it provides the OP and HGV driver the opportunity to reassess their behaviour and learn from it. That is positive outcome, hardly an own goal.

What's more, it gives others an insight into how dangerous situations can develop and hopefully how to avoid them.

I showed it to my wife who agreed that even when you think there is nowhere for a HGV to go, there still might be.

In light of this incident I took it real easy through here this morning.

Luke Redpath

Perhaps I was a bit rash presuming the HGV wouldn't suddenly pull out to the right without indicating.

You were. I'm generally a fan of your videos and thought people were unfair towards you with your previous bus lane video but I think you made an error of judgement on this one.

MGIF syndrome applies to cyclists too. I am happy to filter through traffic but only if I can see ahead and well past large vehicles. Even then I'd normally opt to hang back or give them a very wide berth. It's just not worth it, you won't get home much slower by hanging back. Isn't this why we get infuriated with MGIF drivers? It's almost always pointless.

I'm sure we've all been there and made errors of judgements though. I know I have.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 3533587, member: 9609"]Sadly I think there is more chance of hell freezing over than skip trucks being driven in a more carefully and considerate manner.[/QUOTE]
all 70s entertainers are sex offenders

all cyclists jump red lights.

all people who wear the same clothes as Harold shipman and are doctors murder patients.

3 statements that are in the same league of credibility as your statement.

and yes there are some god awful drivers out there, no denying that .

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Perhaps I was a bit rash presuming the HGV wouldn't suddenly pull out to the right without indicating.

Obviously we can't see, but I'm assuming you were indicating, too, right?

oldroadman

Veteran
Any of the delivery services/building contractors who pay be the load/drop/parcel simply tend to encourage "over progressive" driving. This is how they incentivise their (often independent) contract drivers. Which is a rotten system so far as safety is concerned, as focus on reward which can be achieved by getting more done at all costs removes focus from anything but the driver concerned. However, having watched the video, from a trained advanced driver/moto rider point of view, the observation was poor, response to a developing situation inappropriate, and this led to a near miss which need not have happened. The urge to keep going just to save a few seconds is pointless. It's not a lot of use being "dead right"!

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
Met Police response below.

"You are quite correct the filter was not the best course of action to take. Both you and the HGV driver had the
same intention. He had the forward vision to see what he was negotiating and has braked to deal with it. As he
is braking you have seized the opportunity to pass him but without the vision to see what his obstruction was.
He has indicated at the last moment and possibly to show his wishes, but at this point you have started to pass
across broken hatchings. If he had moved as a reaction to a pedestrian suddenly stepping out the steering input
And braking would have been sharper and I'm afraid to say you would have come off very much worse.
The footage even shows a sticker on the rear of the lorry asking cyclists to stay back.

We will write to the company to advise them of safety of all but you must create
your own safe space and be vigilant with caution to what might be happening. "

Top Bottom