HGV lack of indication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A cyclist ducking and diving may be slightly irritating, an HGV driver doing the same is homicidal. So, not the same. Not remotely the same. Not even in the same ballpark.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If this is you sharing your mistakes why was I made to think by the heading that this this was the lorry drivers mistake not yours. It souds like a bit of a few steps back on your behalf.

There is no point in having an enquiry into why HGVs dont indicate, after the fact. If you continue to ride like that round trucks you will not be here long to talk about it.

Personally, I would have backed off and let him get out of the way, regardless of whos right of way or piece of road it was. How long in your life would it have taken? 3 seconds maybe.

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
If this is you sharing your mistakes why was I made to think by the heading that this this was the lorry drivers mistake not yours. It souds like a bit of a few steps back on your behalf.

There is no point in having an enquiry into why HGVs dont indicate, after the fact. If you continue to ride like that round trucks you will not be here long to talk about it.

Personally, I would have backed off and let him get out of the way, regardless of whos right of way or piece of road it was. How long in your life would it have taken? 3 seconds maybe.

Because if the driver had used his indicator to indicate his intent before he actually did it then perhaps I wouldn't have thought it safe to filter.

Is your camera helmet mounted? If so, I didn't see you shoulder check that another cyclists wasn't filtering passed you. Do you do a full arm out indication that you were about to pull out to filter past a vehicle you were behind? There were plenty of other cyclists around and it seems to be you were traversing in and out of lanes without any due care to these other vulnerable road users.

HGV's can do much more harm to cyclists than cyclists to them. However, cyclists can do plenty of damage to each other.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Is the driver's actions of manoeuvring his large tipper truck before (or as) he indicated across a taxi stand to the other side of the road and back again so predictable?

Given the notoriety of skip lorries killing cyclists in London, it's certainly a possibility I would consider. My city commute is filled with filtering opportunities, some of which I decline on the basis of the answer to the question: "What if...?"

The one you went for wouldn't have come into that category for me, it's a straight 'no farking way'.

GC

PK99

Legendary Member
Well in light of this impartial analysis it is now obvious that the driver is completely faultless.

What I think you mean is that, in light of this analysis from other experienced cyclists, while the lorry driver's manoeuvre was not good, it was eminently predictable and that more anticipation and defensive cycling on your part would have kept you safe instead of putting you In a dangerous squeeze.

I smell a flounce on the cards. The driver was not faultless. He should be 1,000,000 more careful to you than the damage you can cause.

You can also cause damage to other cyclists so must be mindful of being a hypocrite.

Finally, most of the advise was about your self preservation. A robber is at fault. I wuold still recommend to someone on a forum they lock the doors and windows at night, keep valuables out of sight and get an alarm. Not victim blaming, but good advice.

Do with it as you feel. But don;t expect people not to offer advice when posting video's of yourself and then positively inviting it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well in light of this impartial analysis it is now obvious that the driver is completely faultless.
Not by a long shot. His actions are questionable but it is your aggressive attempts to get ahead at any cost that got you into that situation. You then repeated the error straight away by forcing your way past the bus which your clip clearly shows is visible squeezing through a gap on your left and continuing his journey, but you decide to attempt a pass anyway and force your way in front of him too.

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
Not by a long shot. His actions are questionable but it is your aggressive attempts to get ahead at any cost that got you into that situation. You then repeated the error straight away by forcing your way past the bus which your clip clearly shows is visible squeezing through a gap on your left and continuing his journey, but you decide to attempt a pass anyway and force your way in front of him too.

Yes the MGIF can effect us all and it's a good thing to slow down and chill out a bit.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Basically this vid doesn't reflect well on either cyclists or skip drivers. Bit of an own goal IMHO.

Not if it provides the OP and HGV driver the opportunity to reassess their behaviour and learn from it. That is positive outcome, hardly an own goal.

What's more, it gives others an insight into how dangerous situations can develop and hopefully how to avoid them.

Simontm

Veteran
Looks like the OP went through as the light just turned to amber (you can see the green light is still fading). He would not have been able to come to a halt before the stop line.

15896938893_44dac3c6b0_z.jpg
Ah but all road users should anticipate and slow down... and we all do that don't we? ;)

Top Bottom