HGV lack of indication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Erm, yes. It doesn't matter what size vehicle (or even none) a road user has, they must show care and consideration for all other road users.

You think all the regulations that cover driving HGvs should be scrapped? Of course it matters what vehicle you're in control of, that's why there are strict controls on HGVs that don't apply to bikes.

MisterStan

Label Required
well I'm happy to share my mistakes and learn from them.
I'm pleased that you do post these up and genuinely seem to listen and learn to others' opinions. This a great way for newbies to learn too.
You think the most dangerous road user has the same responsibilities as the safest?
Yes. Of course. We all have the same responsibility to look out for ourselves and other road users and drive courteously. The problem is when people don't, doesn't matter which manner of transport they are using.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Erm, yes. It doesn't matter what size vehicle (or even none) a road user has, they must show care and consideration for all other road users.

Oh, and btw, either the OP went though on an amber turning red, or a red as he crosses the Strand junction...:whistle:

Looks like the OP went through as the light just turned to amber (you can see the green light is still fading). He would not have been able to come to a halt before the stop line.

15896938893_44dac3c6b0_z.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I find the title "HGV lack of indication" rather disagreeing with your admission that you are learning, there was no comments in your OP to that affect, therefore I think we all presumed you were complaining about the driver, from my view of it, had you not been there the driver would not of indicated & only did so to ensure you were aware of what he was going to do.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I find the title "HGV lack of indication" rather disagreeing with your admission that you are learning, there was no comments in your OP to that affect, therefore I think we all presumed you were complaining about the driver, from my view of it, had you not been there the driver would not of indicated & only did so to ensure you were aware of what he was going to do.

Err, people can learn and change their views during the course of a discussion. This is what the OP has commendably done.

The HGV manoeuver is opportunist and the indication is very late. IME, most skilled HGV drivers would have indicated their intentions earlier or not attempted the lane change with a cyclist on the offside.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks like the OP went through as the light just turned to amber (you can see the green light is still fading). He would not have been able to come to a halt before the stop line.

15896938893_44dac3c6b0_z.jpg
OTH, if the OP hadn't been so dangerously close to the back of the 'unsafe' HGV then he would have had plenty of time to act on the traffic lights. He adopted a high risk strategy and the resulting 'incident' was not entirely unpredictable.

Origamist

Legendary Member
OTH, if the OP hadn't been so dangerously close to the back of the 'unsafe' HGV then he would have had plenty of time to act on the traffic lights. He adopted a high risk strategy and the resulting 'incident' was not entirely unpredictable.

Agreed, the OP could have given the HGV more of a buffer. Then again, all that would have happened is that other road users would have filled the space. In a congested city like London, traffic is bumper to bumper and wheel to wheel. Is it best practice: no. Is it the reality: yes.

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
Is the driver's actions of manoeuvring his large tipper truck before (or as) he indicated across a taxi stand to the other side of the road and back again so predictable?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Agreed, the OP could have given the HGV more of a buffer. Then again, all that would have happened is that other road users would have filled the space. In a congested city like London, traffic is bumper to bumper and wheel to wheel. Is it best practice: no. Is it the reality: yes.
I'm no country bumpkin when it comes to cycling in traffic and while watching the clip there were plenty of times when I thought "you're letting your tow/shield get away!" and I'm not saying I wouldn't do what the OP was doing or even worse :whistle:. It is not best practice, far from it, but I accept the risks.
Is the driver's actions of manoeuvring his large tipper truck before (or as) he indicated across a taxi stand to the other side of the road and back again so predictable?
Yes. He, just like you and many of the other drivers around you are ducking & diving looking for the gap that will get you ahead and through the next junction/lights before they change. It's the nature of the beast and if you don't like it or can't hack it then stay back with the gaggle of cyclists hanging around in the bus lane behind the bus at the beginning of the clip.

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
Yes. He, just like you and many of the other drivers around you are ducking & diving looking for the gap that will get you ahead and through the next junction/lights before they change. It's the nature of the beast and if you don't like it or can't hack it then stay back with the gaggle of cyclists hanging around in the bus lane behind the bus at the beginning of the clip.

Well maybe we should both chill out a little, me on my little bike as well as the chap in the slightly heavier vehicle.

Top Bottom