Hi all...newbie 'roadie' here....Triban 3-believe the hype?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex11

I've been working on my son's Triban 3 this week following a crash caused when he was distracted by his regular drink bottle jumping out of the Btwin holder - the rigid plastic holders are too big for a standard bottle and are a liability. Having done some dismantling and repairing I can tell you that while the frame, forks and major mechanical components are excellent, the wheels are carp and the gears and brakes not much better. A replacement front wheel costs £24.99 from Decathlon and a RH gear shifter unit costs £49.99! I've just fitted a slightly scuffed takeoff Sora set I got for £40 and they do work a little smoother than the 2300 that's on the bike.
People say Decathlon offer replacements for this kind of thing?

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can buy replacement parts from bigger stores like Stockport but at that rate the parts will end up costing more than the bike did originally! My reckoning is that as bits break or wear out I will replace them with something better.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Globalti,
I have the 5 not the 3 but I understand they have the same brakes and wheels, that said why do you thinks the wheels and brakes are crap? I have hit few pot holes with no advers effects and the brakes seem to have good stopping power.

In your opinion should the existing wheels fail what would be a good wheel upgrade taking into account that the bike only cost £500.

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
Ho Globalti,

I've been over the bike today checking out fit and adjustmant, and while I know-we ALL know it isn't a £1000+ machine.....I can (as yet!) find little fundementally 'wrong' with it from the get-go?
The wheels seem strong and true and the brakes do what they say on their tin and are a long way from the pot metal efforts on most catalogue bikes. Replacement wheels for 24.99? Some tyres cost more!?

I am prepared to replace things as and when needed (as I did with my MTB) and may even enjoy the process. I had a ball gradually decking my (cheapish) mtb with trick bits over the years until I had JUST the bike I wanted but could never have bought outright.

Having said that...I expect my new Trib will implode the first time I ride into the sort of pothole my mtb takes in its stride!

Best

w

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Widge, my 5 has the same wheels and I have hit a few potholes with no problem, that said I would not use it where my mtb goes.

I hope you enjoy your Trib awsome value for the money, the 2300 group set is fitted to considerably more expensive bikes from other brands.

Alan57

Hello Widge ,
I`ve had my Triban 3 for a few months now and like you I am in hilly Devon :bicycle: , it`s a great bike and excellent value for money. Not happy about the choc energy bars , I recon the courier driver ate mine ! I actually like the saddle and find it`s fairly comfortable , but at some time will probably go for a spoon. Also have changed the tyres which made a difference to the speed of the bike , seems to ride much better/faster. Haven`t seen any other Triban`s in the Plymouth area yet , no doubt that will change as the word about this bike gets around. Enjoy.

Alan57

Next day .

Peteaud

Veteran
For the money the T3 is a brilliant bike.

As for upgrades, thats what ebay is for, as long as your in no hurry better components turn up and you stock them / change them to suit.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Should you be after replacement mechs I noticed Ribble have some silly prices at the moment on older models
Shimano 105 Front Triple (5603) £15!
Tiagra rear (4600) £25 SS / £26 GS
Tiagra brakes cheap too.
With usual min of £35 order

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi Alan,

I live halfway between Plymouth and Exeter just off the A38. Work in Plymouth but before you ask...I'm not planning on riding to work

yet! :whistle:

Where do you like to ride? Do you know any flat bits!? :heat:

How have you got on with the bike......did you change out or swap any of it apart from the tyres? What did you get?....I have the 'Spoon' on order..........I found a good saddle for my MTB way back and it it made a world of difference and the Spoon has a lot of fans. Worth a try at the price....I'll let you know!

Sorry to hear about your choccy bars......I've eaten mine already! :hungry:

Very nice they were, too.

@Alex11-Mine arrived by 48hr Parcelforce in a HUGE box with evidence of having been set-up (ish) checked and tightened before delivery.

The lights are awful! Even if they worked...they would have been awful!
But as for the chocolate...................................................................................................................................................

Best

w

Top Bottom