Hi all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louise Harley

I am Louise from Barrhead and fairly new to cycling but have been bitten by the bug and not sure how to survive the winter months as not sure how the dark nights will go

Davidc

Guru
Welcome.

You need good lights.

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

I have lights but they seem to be more for cars to see me and not for me to see huge big potholes in the road. Any recommendations?

GBC

Veteran
Hi Louise, welcome to the forum from Glasgow south:smile: There's quite a few members from Glasgow and the Paisley area around and I'm sure they'll be along to say 'Hi' shortly. You'll learn the ones to trust when they talk about 'flat' and 'hills';)

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Hi GBC
Thank you I look forward to it. I would really love to hear from other female cyclist in particular about shoes and clothing.
Thanks

Davidc

Guru
I have lights but they seem to be more for cars to see me and not for me to see huge big potholes in the road. Any recommendations?
There's loads on the forum about lights, and it can get controversial.

I'll have my say before it does.

At the front it's a good idea to have bright wide angle lights for being seen, and if you ride where it's really dark with no street lights then a good seeing by light as well. I use 2, one's dynamo (CYO 60) and the other's a Hope Vision 1, a combination which I like. Magicshines are liked by many but beware dazzling other road users.

At the back bright. The bright lights by Smart (The Lunar series are current and good) and by Blackburn (not sure what's in the current range) are both very effective. Some people advocate even brighter lights, but beware of dazzling drivers, they don't respond well to it.

Always have 2 lights at the back it's easy not to notice if one goes out. If one of two fails you're still visible. It's a good idea at the front too.

Use rechargeable batteries, save a fortune and you're more inclined to put them on when it's dull or dusk.

Hope that helps, but do read what others say, I'm not updating my lights this year so I'm not up with the latest products.

Nihal

Veteran
Hi totally fixed
I am afraid I am totally lost by your response, was it meant for me?
Er.......@pat"5mph" is a ......er.......a very mad,insane,uncontrollable sane,nice and understanding person who likes to fix her winter bike while listening to Italian Music:giggle:

Welcome to the forums Louise Harley...........and be happy we didnt send Lisa on your case:laugh:

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Hi
Thank you Davidc for your very comprehensive answer, will have a look into that. I was thinking of having 2 at the front already.

Nihal - You scare me!

Top Bottom