Hi all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Louise and welcome. There are plenty of good rides around the glasgow area both CC ecosse rides and Sky rides. I took my son and wife on a few of the sky rides over the summer and there were plenty of other female cyclists that came along particularly on the ride well series (15-20mls).

Stu

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No sadly not, took her out once but she didnt really enjoy it
Did she find her way home ?or did you let her wheelsuck :bicycle::bicycle:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: Louise Harley Harley and :welcome: to CycleChat ! :wahhey:

I'm from (slightly superior :ohmy: ) Embra and you should keep an eye on this thread. You would enjoy the ride :bicycle: and the company :hugs: :cheers: - which is what CC is about as much as information exchange/ chatting. ^_^

Look forward to meeting and riding with you as soon as the weather is nice enough - yes, I am an old wimp ... :sad:

Ride Safe.

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

:hello: Louise Harley Harley and :welcome: to CycleChat ! :wahhey:

I'm from (slightly superior :ohmy: ) Embra and you should keep an eye on this thread. You would enjoy the ride :bicycle: and the company :hugs: :cheers: - which is what CC is about as much as information exchange/ chatting. ^_^

Look forward to meeting and riding with you as soon as the weather is nice enough - yes, I am an old wimp ... :sad:

Ride Safe.

Thank you

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

HI
Welcome to the forums.
At the moment, light wise, both hubby & I have bike lights from Clas Olsen and we have 2 on the front and they are really quite good. We live out in the sticks and can see where we are going with them, potholes and everything. Our nearest streetlight is about 5 miles away from us so we do rely on our lights. So far they have been really good and not expensive.
We generally have at least 2 lights on the back plus our little micro LEDs somewhere on us or the bikes, flashing away. We have one solid light on the back and one flasher for the 2 main lights.
We have been known to use flashing reflective arm bands too, depending on if we can find them in the kitchen or not. They double up as flashing collars for the dogs so that we can see them as they disappear over the fields.
We also have spoke reflectors on our MTBs and on Hubby's roadie. I have got odd shaped spokes so I have a couple of those plastic reflectors that you clip in to your spokes, on each wheel.

As for clothing. I have found some of the female specific to be a bit pricey. My base layers were a fiver each from Go Outdoors, men's ones. My thicker cycling jersey is a Men's 'large' size and its great. Its ladies counterpart was 1/3 more & I am on a budget here. My shoes are Shimano MTB shoes and Lake road shoes, I am guessing that they are men's shoes but they are a really good fit and my feet are not especially wide. I have a couple of pairs of long cycling trouser things from Lidl (Mens) but they fit fine and several of my cycling jerseys are from Aldi or Lidl and they are 'unisex' so the lady in the shop told me. So that'll be 'mens' stuff again but its fine. I get a size bigger in a men's size than a woman's size for boobage (as hubby calls it).

My Night Vision jacket is also a men's jacket as the ladies ones were in not too bright colours and I want to be seen when I'm riding my bike in the dusk and dark. Its fluro-bright-council-orange and hubby says that he can see me all the way from the gate to the top of the drive in it. Our drive is over 1/4 mile long as we live on a farm.

If you get cold hands. Go Outdoors are doing an offer of dayglo-catsick-yellow Sealskinz gloves. Toasty warm and waterproof too.

Happy cycling.

HI and thanks for taking the time to write this post, its been very helpful

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi Louise and welcome, I've not read all the posts in this thread but I am also looking at a new light set ( after 4 years of commuting on my current lot) and am told that the Hope Vision 1 is one of the brightest for actually seeing where you are going...at a relatively budget price...ish

PS, take a look at our guide for new riders (in towns) Not a lot of suggestions in therer for clothing but some other stuff may be helpful. Link is below

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/guide.pdf

Hope you find a good set of lights.

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Hi Louise and welcome, I've not read all the posts in this thread but I am also looking at a new light set ( after 4 years of commuting on my current lot) and am told that the Hope Vision 1 is one of the brightest for actually seeing where you are going...at a relatively budget price...ish

PS, take a look at our guide for new riders (in towns) Not a lot of suggestions in therer for clothing but some other stuff may be helpful. Link is below

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/guide.pdf

Hope you find a good set of lights.
Thyank you

Top Bottom