Hi can I interview you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
1. Do you think this is a good idea? and why? No; there are lots of free solutions which don't need carrying around with you - a stick or a dock leaf for example.
2. Would you use this kind of product? No.
3. How often does your chain come off your bike? Very, very rarely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Change the Future

I made a wine rack for o’level woodwork (too old for gcse)

1. Not really necessary as it only takes a few seconds to put a chain back on.

2. Possibly, if it could put my 14 foot chain back onto the recumbent trike without me getting out the comfy seat.

3. Not very often unless I’m hammering through the mud and undergrowth, and then a little grease is not an issue.

No i mean if you are going to work or school

GilesM

Legendary Member
1. Do you think this is a good idea? and why?I really don't see why anybody would ever need one, as MichaelW2 wrote, use the front mech.
2. Would you use this kind of product? No
3. How often does your chain come off your bike? Rarely, if it does it's usually a badly adjusted front Mech.

The main problem with anything like this is that to use such a device quickly when needed means you have to have it quickly available, probably in a jersey back pocket, but who would have something that is needed so infrequently in their back pocket, the space is needed for food, keys, phone money etc..

icowden

Veteran
Hi
1. Do you think this is a good idea? and why?

I do actually, but I think it would likely appeal to owners of certain types of bike. For example my wife has a Pashley Princess with an almost completely enclosed chain. And both of my children have bikes where the chain is similarly hard to get at due to a chain cover. A tool to assist where there is limited access without having to take a screwdriver to the cover could have some appeal.

2. Would you use this kind of product?

Certainly on the 3 ladies bikes. My own as many others have indicated is really not an issue

3. How often does your chain come off your bike?

I don't think mine has ever come off unless I have got it caught on something trying to get it out of the shed. However, both my children managed it a few times. It might be worth looking at those enclosed chains to see if you can figure something out.

Good luck with your project.

D

Deleted member 23692

No - it's not that big a problem to warrent a dedicated solution to address - you then need to address how to carry this 'solution' with you/on the bike.

No - putting a chain back on is simple enough to to do with one finger, and I'm not concerned about getting a wee bit of oil on that finger...or glove

Very rarely - dropping chains and/or having dirty oily chains can be fixed by maintenance. Prevention is better than cure :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well first of all welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the right approach to getting other people's views on your idea.

1. No, I don't because the chain doesn't often come off in a well adjusted bike. I think it would be better to fix the cause than the symptoms. Ie better stop it falling off in the first place than make things easier when it does.
2. No, because my chain hardly ever comes off. This only really happens when I'm fixing a puncture, and putting the wheel back in. My hands are already dirty once I've done that, so a bit of chain oil makes no difference!
3. Not very often at all. If it does I make a note and when I get home I check the adjustment of my gears.

Sorry if that isn't very positive, but I hope it's useful feedback.

Good luck with your project.

lane

Veteran
I think there is a misunderstanding by some people on here regarding what is expected for a GCSE project. I don't think it is possible for every single young person doing a technology GCSE to come up with an idea for a product that does not yet exist. If this was a requirement the pass rate would be rather low.

In answer to the questions:

1. Do you think this is a good idea? and why? Yes it is because it a problem that effects you and therefore will also effect other people
2. Would you use this kind of product? Probably not because my chain does not come off often. I am also experimenting with some different lube which will not make my hands dirty.
3. How often does your chain come off your bike I can't remember the last time this happened. However as a family we have had quite a few instances of chains coming off - just not on my bike. Although thinking about it was always me who had to put them back on.It can be a messy job to put them back on so something that helps with this might be good.

Good luck with your project and GCSEs.

Top Bottom