hi everyone, a newbie in Andover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Eager2bSmaller

Eager2bSmaller

Bertie, that is quite some ride. I will have to keep that to try later. I have managed 10 miles so far, not sure I can manage 30 lol.

PhilMag

Regular
Bertie, that is quite some ride. I will have to keep that to try later. I have managed 10 miles so far, not sure I can manage 30 lol.

You'll be surprised how quickly the miles rack up, especially if you are out quite regularly.

If you have a smart phone with gps running android, an iphone or a blackberry there are a whole host of apps that you can track your rides as you go and then in more detail as you go. As you may have noticed I use www.Endomondo.com . It's free, got a lot of features. There are others, some more functional, but I like it. My profile on there is http://www.endomondo.com/profile/3316918

Berties

Fast and careful!
When i first did my commute on my mountain bike my ass was on fire i got scalped by a oap,things were not good within 2 months i changed to a flat bar road bike rode with friends family and local cycle group and was doing 30+ miles regularly,riding 60 miles within another 2 months and 100 miles within 6 months ,if you believe in your self you can do it ride regularly and do your best,i now ride a full carbon and can eat the miles,and you will be doing your first 30 quicker than you think,best of luck

OP
OP
Eager2bSmaller

Eager2bSmaller

When i first did my commute on my mountain bike my ass was on fire i got scalped by a oap,things were not good within 2 months i changed to a flat bar road bike rode with friends family and local cycle group and was doing 30+ miles regularly,riding 60 miles within another 2 months and 100 miles within 6 months ,if you believe in your self you can do it ride regularly and do your best,i now ride a full carbon and can eat the miles,and you will be doing your first 30 quicker than you think,best of luck

I had started to do 6.5 miles to work a couple days a week. But I have changed jobs, and towns, and now my commute is nearer 13 miles. SO I don't have the confidence that I can do that and be in a suitable state to do some work, or that I can do it in a timely fashion. But I am working on it, and intend to commute by bike at least two days a week regularly.

I used to have an old heavt raleigh MTB, but have just changed to the Specialized Sirrus Elite (pictured as my avatar), I am amazed at the difference, now I find cycling fun, rather than a mean of exercise. So I am looking to do more, and better, faster, stronger.

My first goal is LBS easy ride on saturday mornings, they said I need to be able to go 12mph comfortably, and I am not there yet. I am at 10.5, so need more strength in my legs at the mo.

But I will get there!! Oh yes I will ;o)

OP
OP
Eager2bSmaller

Eager2bSmaller

You'll be surprised how quickly the miles rack up, especially if you are out quite regularly.

If you have a smart phone with gps running android, an iphone or a blackberry there are a whole host of apps that you can track your rides as you go and then in more detail as you go. As you may have noticed I use www.Endomondo.com . It's free, got a lot of features. There are others, some more functional, but I like it. My profile on there is http://www.endomondo.com/profile/3316918
I have joined Endomondo, and went on the route you shared previously, unfortunately it appears to have not tracked the first mile of my ride, so I am not sure exactly how well I did :cry:

I will have to try it again, and this time I wont be feeling so bad after a rather heavy :cheers: weekend

OP
OP
Eager2bSmaller

Eager2bSmaller

I live just off Barlows Lane....I'm waiting for a new Decathlon Riverside 3 to arrived and hopefully get some miles in around Rooksbury Mill, Lady's walk and the Clatfords for a start. Welcome to you.
Hi David, thanks for the welcome. Is it road or off road riding that you normally do?

David Garside

Hi. I'm just doing a bit round the Rooksbury Mill and the Clatfords area at the moment. I've a got a new hybrid on order which I should have in a week or so, so will try to get out a bit further afield. When I've got it and I feel a bit fitter I may even join you for a ride....if you'll let me that is.....^_^

OP
OP
Eager2bSmaller

Eager2bSmaller

Hi. I'm just doing a bit round the Rooksbury Mill and the Clatfords area at the moment. I've a got a new hybrid on order which I should have in a week or so, so will try to get out a bit further afield. When I've got it and I feel a bit fitter I may even join you for a ride....if you'll let me that is.....^_^

I would definitely welcome you on a ride. I have never ridden with anyone. Not since I had a Raleigh grifter anyway lol.

PhilMag

Regular
I have joined Endomondo, and went on the route you shared previously, unfortunately it appears to have not tracked the first mile of my ride, so I am not sure exactly how well I did :cry:

I will have to try it again, and this time I wont be feeling so bad after a rather heavy :cheers: weekend
I'm guessing that the gps hadn't locked on. Which phone are you using?

AnneW

Über Member
Welcome Eager2BSmaller (great name!).

Just wanted to give you some encouragement - I'm what you would politely call "larger than your average cyclist" and have perservered with the cycling, even though I still can't compete with my OH and our friends. But I am smaller than I was and much fitter than I was.

Just keep turning the pedals, go at your pace (which will improve faster than you think) and before you know it you will be thinking that ride is "only" 30 mles :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Eager2bSmaller

Eager2bSmaller

Yes behind the bike shed it is. :biggrin:

My phone is a HTC sensation xe. I have had issues with it, and am just trying a new sim. Hopefully it will get better.

I am away this weekend, but would love to get a ride arranged next week if possible :smile:

Top Bottom