Hi-Fi advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hello.

I normally stream music through my phone, and use an Anker Bluetooth speaker, but it's quite weak for filling a room full of sound.

What would be the best solution for achieving a bigger sound (not necessarily loud)?

I was looking at the Tannoy Eclipse 2 floor standing speakers which are reduced on Richer Sounds, but then realised I'd need an Amp and a Bluetooth receiver. It all starts getting a bit above my budget of ~£150.

Then I looked at active speakers but they look so small.

Any suggestions? I suppose I could look at 2nd hand separates on ebay but I want a guarantee.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just to add, I really like the look of floor standing speakers, so I guess it's all about getting a reasonably priced amp that can receive music through Bluetooth?

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes I've seen those thanks. I use Google Play, so thought it better to spend on a dedicated Amp/speakers. Are the Bluetooth receivers any good, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't want to buy good speakers if the Bluetooth transmission is going to take away any quality I'd otherwise have.

tobykenobi

Über Member
To keep your budget down you could look at second hand. Places like cash converters often have hi-fi separates at low prices. I've picked up a Sony CD player for £20 (has worked perfectly for over 5 years now) and a pair of Gale bookshelf speakers for £25 (also still going). I've seen decent make amplifiers and floorstanders for good prices. Do your research on anything you see to make sure it's worth having. The advantage of such shops (over, for example, eBay) is you'll have a few days to return it if it doesn't work properly.

You can something quite cheap that will plug into one of the inputs on the amp - but I have no idea how good such things are.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Choose carefully on ebay, accept that you're not going to get a guarantee, rely on the fact that the things you've carefully chosen are unlikely to go wrong. Electronic audio stuff is incredibly reliable and durable these day. As far as the bluetooth goes, one of these will plug into any amp.

Hello.

I normally stream music through my phone, and use an Anker Bluetooth speaker, but it's quite weak for filling a room full of sound.

What would be the best solution for achieving a bigger sound (not necessarily loud)?

I was looking at the Tannoy Eclipse 2 floor standing speakers which are reduced on Richer Sounds, but then realised I'd need an Amp and a Bluetooth receiver. It all starts getting a bit above my budget of ~£150.

Then I looked at active speakers but they look so small.

Any suggestions? I suppose I could look at 2nd hand separates on ebay but I want a guarantee.
Andy, being a metal fan as well and having 2 sets of speakers for sale (Wharfdale and Mission bookshelf) just get a cheap all in one streamer, Denon CEOL is good or similar and you can have speakers at CC rate lets say... probably Missions better for rock/metal Wharfs smoother for jazz and vocal but overall the better speaker. If you want floorstanders i cant help. Let me know.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks, the Denon is a bit out of my price range considering speakers as well. haven't moved in to my new place yet but will PM you later if still available

Thanks, the Denon is a bit out of my price range considering speakers as well. haven't moved in to my new place yet but will PM you later if still available
No probs i got Ceol from Richers for £130 i think but must have been on sale.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This might well go for not that much more than the starting price.

These too. I don't know them, but Mission don't in my experience make rubbish.

Both are within 5 miles of Plymouth Town Hall, so free-pickuppable for you, I would've thought.

Add the wee gizmo I mentioned earlier, and you could be up & running for fifty quid all in. Bet it would sound pretty damn fine too.

Not quite £130 but check this out uzVBRDkARIsALkZAdn33flHjYxi7Xw0R7wqctdRac4hotVjXVqk6WzmOMGkjePpi58Lco8aAvQxEALw_wcB
I have had one for a couple of years, connected to a grands worth of Rega turntable and Dynaudio spkrs...doesnt let me down and goes proper LOUD!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I just went down the PC - USB DAC - Amp - Speakers route for £150.

The USB DAC gives a better quality than music through the PC/Laptop DAC. Get a Nad Amp (£40-60'ish and really good quality considering the price) ) and some 1980/90's speakers - I just bought some lightly used Pioneer CS series speakers for £30 and whilst they are not strictly the best quality they are really good value for money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom