Hi fi stands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Who made that claim?

You did.

Extra bits and pieces may make an insignificant difference to your home hifi system, but there comes a point (very early on) that the inflence of the room has on the sound....

And a recording studio is built for sound. It's not someone's dining room with a bit of fancy equipment in. So smaller improvements as a result of using expensive equipment are going to make a difference.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's the great thing about sound recording: you can play the same thing again, and again, and again, and again, and again.....

02GF74

Über Member
Uncle Mort said:
I have seen reviews of mains electricity purifiers and cables costing hundreds, claiming that the sound is more realistic when using them. Bollocks it is.

Have you actually used one?

I spend quite a bit on hifi mucking about and tweaking - the joy of ebay you can pick up stuff cheap.

One think I bought from maplins was mains conditioner, £ 70 so not huge money and I am convinced it did improve the bass. Can't recall if I did a comparison with/without so it may be a case of I spent X more puounds there fore it myst be better, but one thing for sure, it did reduce the mains hum from my amps (this is hum from the boxers themselves - transfomrer noise? as opposed to any hum on the audio path).

I dod have a rther expensive nordoswt speajer cable, again off ebay at a fraction of the RRP that I am yet to be convinced is any better than some DIY cable made from CAT 5e LAN cable. Really should do a blind test on that.

oh, forgot why i wanted to post.

re: OP queation - take a look at tesco/homebase/argos catalogue for furtniture - they seem to have a reasonable range, a lot of chrom/black smoked glass stuff.

02GF74

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Certainly when my band record stuff, we don't use particularly expensive cables, or rest the amps on anything technical. And as for my cheap guitars ...

ah, but maybe if you did, you'd be as big as Coldplay, especially if you sold as many reocrds as they have.

just a thought.

U

User482

02GF74 said:
ah, but maybe if you did, you'd be as big as Coldplay, especially if you sold as many reocrds as they have.

just a thought.

I once shared a house with a chap who was a roadie on a number of big tours, for various bands. They used bog-standard studio cabling.

Mr Pig

there's a limit to the sound quality you can get in a normal house, there's no point spending hundreds of pounds on shelves that make no discernible difference.

You're saying the same thing over and over again and still just making assumptions without the experience to back them up. Yes, there is a limit to how good a domestic Hi-Fi can get but you have no idea how high that limit is or what steps are required to reach it. If you did you would not be saying that shelves make no discernible difference.

Cables sound vastly different but I've never got the idea that the cost of a material is in some way proportional to its suitability for the task it is to perform. Why should an exotic material, mined from the mountains of Tibet by pygmy slaves, sound better than steel, copper or plastic? I've been lent murderously expensive mains cables to try and in my opinion they did not work any better than cheaper ones. However different types of cable do sound clearly different and vary considerably in sound quality.

I remember years ago having cause to take the plug off one end of one of my Naim Audio interconnects, it was the cable that feeds their 250 and 135 power amps. Turned out it was three-core mains flex!

Simple changes like soldering connections rather than clamping them are also clearly audible. Many cheaper Hi-Fi components are compromised by the need to keep production costs low, push-tag connections rather than solder etc, and improving them is easy, cheap and fun!

02GF74 said:

just a thought.

But Coldplay are crap.

U

User482

I see that the claims of significant differences between cables continue to be made. Funny how people can't tell the difference in a blind trial.....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User482 said:
I see that the claims of significant differences between cables continue to be made. Funny how people can't tell the difference in a blind trial.....

User482, where's the info about this blind trial and where the offer of a zillion squid?

Mr Pig

...but you're still not hearing...

I don't know what you want me to say. I have a room full of Hi-Fi equipment that I know works. You're standing with your fingers in your ears saying 'No it dosn't, na na na na na'.

Ok, you're right. Years ago I bought a Mana Hi-Fi support, put it under my Hi-Fi and nothing happened. However, being the idiot that I am, I went out and bought another twenty of them just to make sure! Whatever...

U

User169

Fab Foodie said:
User482, where's the info about this blind trial and where the offer of a zillion squid?

Offered by a guy called James Randi - you can probably get the details on the net somewhere - not sure if the offer still stands.

U

User482

Mr Pig said:
I don't know what you want me to say. I have a room full of Hi-Fi equipment that I know works. You're standing with your fingers in your ears saying 'No it dosn't, na na na na na'.

Ok, you're right. Years ago I bought a Mana Hi-Fi support, put it under my Hi-Fi and nothing happened. However, being the idiot that I am, I went out and bought another twenty of them just to make sure! Whatever...

You believe your hifi equipment works. Which is not the same thing.

U

User482

Delftse Post said:
Offered by a guy called James Randi - you can probably get the details on the net somewhere - not sure if the offer still stands.

That's the one - I'd forgotten his name. Apparently, an (absurdly expensive) cable manufacturer took up his offer (to differentiate between modest and super expensive speaker cables in a double-blind trial), but then withdrew. I don't know the reason why - a shame, as it would have been an interesting experiment.

Top Bottom