Hi from Dorset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bikerta

I have enjoyed cycling for many years, but only on a very leisurely scale with my children.

For some unknown reason I woke one morning a couple of months ago and had one of those mad moments where I decided that I would like to do a long distance cycle tour next year and thought about doing Lands End to John O Groats. I had never cycled more than about 25 miles before and realised that I would have to do some serious training. I have been looking around on the internet and came across this site, which seems very helpful, so thought I would join the family.

I have recently bought a Dawes Galaxy as I thought steel frame would be ideal for a long distance trip like this and I have been very pleased with it. My only concern was that it seems quite a long reach to the drop bars. The bike shop where I bought it has fitted an adjustable stem and this has helped to bring the bars a little closer. In an ideal world I would love a Thorn Sherpa, but new they are way out of my price range and they don't come up very often second hand.

I cycle to work each day, but as that is only 2 miles each way it doesn't help much. I have been riding each week end and also covered a 4 day camping trip at the end of August following the Wiltshire Cycleway. That was 140 miles in 4 days and was quite an eye opener as to how much training I was going to need. I did a 2 day trip this weekend, also camping, and covered 80 miles in the 2 days which included a pretty steep climb. At the moment 40 miles seems to be my limit, but have got plenty of time to increase this as main trip will not be until next summer. Also need lots (and lots) of practice on the hills as I am not very good at them at present!!

Look forward to reading lots of helpful tips and advice on here to help me along the way.

Best wishes. Jackie

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
evening and thats quite a trip you have planned for next year , keep up the practice

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
:welcome: always good to have a challenge or a goal and you have picked a big one.
Good luck though,there's loads of info on here about it and lots have done it and lived to tell the tale.
Keep pedalling and enjoy the ride,Dorset is a beautiful county.

Dibs

Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

Here about in Dorset are you from? I spent 4 years in Poole - didn't get out on the bike much then...

Love the idea of LE to JO'G - i'm tempted by the idea now!

:becool:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome Jackie!
Your trip is certainly a goal to aim for.
There is a forum on the site dedicated to LEJOG, have a look here for tips.

OP
OP
B

Bikerta

Thanks to all who have already posted a welcome, I am impressed. I shall be reading lots on here, especially the LEJOG section. I can see a few late nights on the horizon!

Hi Dibs, I am in the very North of the county, where Dorset meets Wiltshire and Somerset, so lots of cycling to choose from.

OP
OP
B

Bikerta

It's a 2012 model that I managed to pick up at a good price. I actually prefer the 2012 to the newer model that they have bought out as it's a higher spec (631 tubing) and I like the green colour scheme (typical woman going for the colour rather than the important stuff) I have a Blackburn front rack fitted too, though I have yet to buy the front panniers. So far I have managed to put all my gear into the 2 Ortlieb rear panniers, with the tent strapped across the top and an Ortlieb handlebar bag. I hadn't realised how much money this hobby would cost. My christmas list is HUGE!!!!

I must say though, that once set up, the actual riding is pretty cheap. The total cost for my last weekend's camping trip was £8.51. £8 for the campsite and 51p for a pint of milk for hot drinks and porridge for breakfast. Evening meal I took with me and cooked.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and :welcome:
You certainly seem to have got yourself nicely organised.
Perhaps you could find a longer route to work and back.:bicycle:
I wish you well with your plans. Sounds exiting.

152l2

Hi Jackie,
I only joined the forum myself yesterday. Well done on the miles so far. It sounds like you are well on your way to reaching your target.
Maybe we will pass on the road some time (i am in Dorchester).
Good luck.

Top Bottom