Hi from Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Atara

Hello all,

After my husband recently decided to start cycling to work I got to thinking about it too. I've not been on a bike since I was 17 (so 6 years ago) when I was in the army. I was discharged from the army after a spine injury and couldn't handle exersize for quite some time which bred laziness and, never getting back into, I'm now terribly unfit. I had a son last year and have been trying to shed the last bit of baby weight and of course current fitness isn't really much good for running around after a toddler all day and I was told after 3 years of thinking I was very allergic to dust and cats that I have allergy triggered asthma so it's time to bite the bullet and get on it.

I found this place when I was looking for advice/reviews on Boardman bikes (I'm stuck with Halfords as I'm getting my bike through cycle4work) and advice for commuters as I'm not at all confident cycling on roads. And decided to join as additional motivation

MajorMantra

Hi Altara, welcome to the forums. There are lots of Edinburgh folk on here.

Boardman bikes are generally well regarded but if you get one I'd advise getting it serviced somewhere other than Halfords to make sure it's set up ok as Halfords mechanics have a poor reputation.

As for gaining confidence on the road, seek out a book called Cyclecraft. Also, if you want to get used to being on a bike before tackling the road, get a Spokes cycle map (available in Waterstones etc.) of Edinburgh and explore the network of cycle paths.

OP
OP
A

Atara

Thanks for the advice, I live right beside the cycle path my husband uses to get from here to his work near Ocean Terminal so I'll bop on the old Raleigh Activator once the chain is fixed and give it a whirl a few nights a week. My LOC will be a while in coming.

I'll definitely seek out that book, too. :biggrin:

sunnyjim

+1 for the Spokes maps- not perfect, but better than the standard city map the're based on. It's the most useful thing Spokes do, IMO.

http://www.opencyclemap.org/ is also pretty complete for Edinburgh.

I sometimes use the paths in that area- say hi if you see a relaxed old bufty on a green recumbent.

bauldbairn

Hello all,

I found this place when I was looking for advice/reviews on Boardman bikes (I'm stuck with Halfords as I'm getting my bike through cycle4work) and advice for commuters as I'm not at all confident cycling on roads. And decided to join as additional motivation

:welcome:

Hello Atara, already welcomed you to CC on the "Welcome Mat."

As an owner of a Boardman I'd recommend them highly - just find a good Halfords or order the bike on line.

They've also just launched a "fi - femal informed" range for women and it's very flash. B)

fi_hybrid_comp_over.jpg fi_road_comp_over.jpg

browse the specs and prices here;

http://www.boardmanb...ybrid_comp.html

Keep us(CCers) up to date with your choices etc. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Atara

Oh that womans Boardman is lovely, I was gutted I couldn't afford the White models. Looks like I'd completely overlooked it on the website. Thank you :biggrin:

bauldbairn

Oh that womans Boardman is lovely, I was gutted I couldn't afford the White models. Looks like I'd completely overlooked it on the website. Thank you :biggrin:

Nae probs weeman that's whit we're here fur! :thumbsup:

That's why I posted it - it's not that well advertised.

I've got the white "Boardman Pro" hybrid(flatbar). :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hello all,

After my husband recently decided to start cycling to work I got to thinking about it too. I've not been on a bike since I was 17 (so 6 years ago) when I was in the army. I was discharged from the army after a spine injury and couldn't handle exersize for quite some time which bred laziness and, never getting back into, I'm now terribly unfit. I had a son last year and have been trying to shed the last bit of baby weight and of course current fitness isn't really much good for running around after a toddler all day and I was told after 3 years of thinking I was very allergic to dust and cats that I have allergy triggered asthma so it's time to bite the bullet and get on it.

Great another one from Auld Reekie! Hallo and welcome :biggrin:

Don't worry you never forget how to fall off ride a bicycle, it will come back easily and if you do want a wee bit of help you can get free cycle training from "A better way to work", including commuter training. As for being stuck with Helfrauds, you are not, most bike shops in Edinburgh will take their cycle4work vouchers (under the tax rules they can not make you use one shop, Halfrauds merely administer the voucher scheme and take a cut of the profit!), so ask around. If you would like a few LBS recommendations just let us know.

OP
OP
A

Atara

Great another one from Auld Reekie! Hallo and welcome :biggrin:

Don't worry you never forget how to fall off ride a bicycle, it will come back easily and if you do want a wee bit of help you can get free cycle training from "A better way to work", including commuter training. As for being stuck with Helfrauds, you are not, most bike shops in Edinburgh will take their cycle4work vouchers (under the tax rules they can not make you use one shop, Halfrauds merely administer the voucher scheme and take a cut of the profit!), so ask around. If you would like a few LBS recommendations just let us know.

Any recommendations will go down a treat, and if you know of any cycle shops who would be able to accept my LOC then that would be great, too. I really do like the look of the Broadmans but admittedly I have only looked in Halfords as I thought I was stuck with them.

Definately jealous of the Hybrid PRO ownership. I would love one but I can't justify the spend. I am hoping to give up my buspass for good, I love it so and it is ever so handy if I want to nip out with my wee boy and I don't need to take a tenner out to get £1.20 change but alas, it would be fore the best and get me fitter.

I am not usually into womens bikes but those Ff ones are quite nie, even though I am generally opposed to pink on all levels. I might want that more than the black mans comp

bauldbairn

Any recommendations will go down a treat, and if you know of any cycle shops who would be able to accept my LOC then that would be great, too. I really do like the look of the Broadmans but admittedly I have only looked in Halfords as I thought I was stuck with them.

Definately jealous of the Hybrid PRO ownership. I would love one but I can't justify the spend. I am hoping to give up my buspass for good, I love it so and it is ever so handy if I want to nip out with my wee boy and I don't need to take a tenner out to get £1.20 change but alas, it would be fore the best and get me fitter.

I am not usually into womens bikes but those Ff ones are quite nie, even though I am generally opposed to pink on all levels. I might want that more than the black mans comp

We'll help you with whatever type of bike you choose from wherever. :smile:

Cheers for the comment on the "Pro" - it took me several months to persuade myself to buy a bike from Halfords(not on a C2W).
The value for money offered by the Boardmans is hard to beat.
Halfords don't make the bikes - they only sell them, put the pedals on and straighten the handlebars if you get it from the shop.

Don't worry about the pink on the "fi" bikes - it does look quite stylish and I hate pink!

There's also the Edinburgh Bike Cooperative up at the meadow's. They do a good range of value for money own brand "Revolution" bikes - but the service in there is patchy to say the least. No better or worse than Halfords - it's just your luck wether you get an assistant that know's their bikes/stuff and is interested in helping.

Good luck Atara - keep us informed of what your looking at and we'll give you our opinions.

p.s. you may want to start a thread in "Beginners and Riding" or "Cafe" as you'll have a wider audience there, with more opinions and possibly more womans views(although HJ is quite good!;) ) if that's what you want.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Nothing wrong with Boardman bikes (apart from what the spotty yoffs at Helfrauds do to them when they "set them up") per se, the one caveat I would give is that they only come with double chainrings. This is fine on the flat or for fit regular cyclist in a hilly place like Edinburgh, but you might be better off with a triple to start with. It is a really good idea to have a test ride of any bike you are thinking of buying, preferably somewhere there is a wee bit of a hill.

As for shops, where to start? If you want to see a wide range of bikes, then start with the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op is a good place for getting ideas, but not always the best place to buy, advice can be hit and miss there as well. Personally I like the Tri Centre, but they have a limited range (of affordable bikes, great for bling), but they do give good, honest advice, and there is no hard sell.

If you start a thread in Beginners, asking for advice on which Edinburgh LBS, I am sure the Edinburgh crowd (and there are quite a few of us) will happily suggest a few ;)

Top Bottom