Hi Viz - Do you or don't you?

High Viz - do you?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, never.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Common sense approach depending on situation

• None of the above, I'll explain below.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickL

Über Member
No choice my rucksack is Hi Viz, my black gloves have reflected webbing across them (snail pattern) so hand signals the gloves shine and the black shorts I wear have reflected strips on them. To me its about not giving them excuses not to see you and the police use the yellow jackets as well :biggrin:

Bodhbh

Guru
User said:
All your story illustrates is that you acted inappropriately. You knew that there were horses there and that you should slow when passing.

Suggesting that their lack of hi-viz somehow made them invisible is daft, to say the least, and sounds more like a guilty attempt at post rationalisation.
Not really, I made a post a while back when I was on the other end of the stick, wondering if me not wearing Hi-Viz had, if not caused, at least made it easy for someone to pull in front. Just interested in the truth of it is all, if I ballsed up then I ballsed up.

Anyone who's taken their driving test recently will have been sujected to the Hazard identification videos (basically first person videos of a car driving down a street, and you, the testee, as the car passes along have to identify potential hazards/obstructions/anything which causes you to take care or change course, in the road ahead). Be interesting, if some study on how Hi-Viz cyclists got spotted vs the non Hi-Viz. I'm sure they must be some on this anyhow.

shunter

No hi-vis yellow or orange - winter gear is black/grey with reflective striping and dots on trousers, gloves, wheels etc. Main reason is because as a motorcyclists on unlit roads I've found that the yellow on cyclists doesn't stand out but reflective material does. As well as that I find doubling up of lights - one flashing and one constant - both front and rear stands out well.

The last time I put my hi viz blazer on (over a red jersey) for a ride home, it was horrendous.

Incidents I recall from that ride in order of their occurrence:
- pedestrian stepped back from pavement into without looking
- car driver ran a red light because he didn't see anyone approaching the junction
- car driver pulled out on me
- car driver made u turn right in front of me
- another car driver pulled out on me, and stopped half way across the road stalling his engine when he realised I was there

Of course, the experience is entirely anecdotal, but it supports my view that hi-viz isn't that useful. People don't see you if they are not looking properly no matter what you are wearing.

I'm probably better off cycling nekkid.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I wear a hi viz Montane FeatherLite Gilet when I am out on my bike, the reason I started wearing it was that I noticed now visible you are on country lanes I kept on noticing that I could see cyclists that were miles up the road from me.

I do most of my riding in the countryside as I live in yorkshire and I figure that hi viz is a lot like the helmet issue it only needs to be useful once to make it worth while, so if only one driver sees you what otherwise wouldnt then it has been worthwhile wearing it and its not any great hassle to wear and it keeps the wind off as well.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Altura night vision jacket for cold/wet dark mornings/nights. Both for the hi-viz and waterproof function. All other times of the year, no hi-viz.

jimboalee

There is another old bit of cycling folklore.

"Wear many thin layers".

This is so you can strip off one ( or two ) and stuff them in a pocket.

This also includes the waterproof layer on the outside.

In the cold, I wear a thermal vest, tee shirt, road jersey and light racecape if its raining.
If it brightens up and the sun comes out, I can strip off the thermal vest, tee or both. Or the thermal and racecape.

I DON'T wear one big coat over an undershirt. There is no opportuninty for adaptation.

Jake

well i wsa gonna post something simular today. Cycling in there was a guy on a mountain bike, wering his hi-viz jacket. Thing is, it was the thickest winter puffa hi-viz jacket, and its pretty god dam warm today in london. So, do you risk not being seen by not wearing it, or do you get heat stroke! lol

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Jake said:
well i wsa gonna post something simular today. Cycling in there was a guy on a mountain bike, wering his hi-viz jacket. Thing is, it was the thickest winter puffa hi-viz jacket, and its pretty god dam warm today in london. So, do you risk not being seen by not wearing it, or do you get heat stroke! lol

Or just get a thinner jacket I use my hi viz gilet in summer and my endura convert II in early spring / later autumn / winter.

silverbow

Hi-Viz wise I use Altura night vision for the cold and wet. Altura gilet most of the time or a Sam Browne. I never cycle on the road without HiViz, but that is just me.

I choose the cycling products over 'workman' wear as I want to make it clear that I'm a cyclist rather than a workman standing by the side of the road and therefore moving.

Oh and the bike has yellow Hi-Viz tape on both sides!

I cycle in the country for 99% of my commute, I would say the traffic is 20 - 25% HGV's, Lorries and Tractors. I've been told by HGV drivers it is difficult to see, a cyclist without Hi-Viz.

The thing about Hi-Viz is that the 'eye' is still aware of its presence when in the peripheral vision area.

I also wear it because of the insurance claim thing too.

But I'm the man who always considered belt and braces!!!

J4CKO

I am wearing a Decathlon hi viz Gillet at the moment, usually only in the mornings but will wear it if overcast ont he way home, I can understand how in town drivers get blind to hi viz but my commute is rural and it makes a difference compared to my black cycle top, these days I am inclined to err on the side of caution, only on really sunny days do I do without anything and as has been mentioned it could make the difference between having and accident and not but also if you do have one it can make the difference between a prosecution or not for the driver (assuming they are in the wrong).

I tend to have my lights on now as well, just on flash but against green it shows really well, I did this having overtaken a few cyclists when in the car last week and the lit ones, even in fairly ok daylight stood out miles away and that may be the difference between a driver hoofing it and not.

Looking at that Led Wear flashing Jacket for winter, ok you look a bit of a Gibbon but rather that than not being seen.

As a driver and cyclist myself I do tend to assess other cyclists on their visibility, it doesnt affect how I treat them but I suspect none cyclists sometimes think if you are taking your safety seriously then perhaps they should, also I have had quite a few compliments on my Hope Vision 2 light off peds, not sure whether it was a "F*ck me I am blind now" comment or a genuine compliment, still they saw me.

Top Bottom