Hi Viz - Do you or don't you?

High Viz - do you?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, never.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Common sense approach depending on situation

• None of the above, I'll explain below.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy1

Nah, I don't really bither. I did try it once with one of those hi viz vests but I found it made no difference at all.I still had the same dickheads pulling out and supposedly not seeing me.Since then I haven't

silverbow

One thing I would say is that part of my root by passes a small housing estate. On quite a few occasions I have had cyclists draft me from this esate, all the way to my village, 4 miles away. The only reason I can think of is that I can easily been seen and they are freeloading my Hi-Viz!!!

Next time I'll ask.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Once it starts getting dark the hi-viz waistcoat and the hi-viz rucksack cover go on.

During the light months, most of my tops have hi-viz yellow colouring on them, and reflective elements / piping. If it's grey, overcast, raining, dull, dank, misty or foggy during the non-dark months then I'll be riding with my lights on in daylight.

As I voted above, I use the common sense approach depending on the conditions when I'm riding.

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
Hi viz altura jacket and probably going to invest in hi viz rucksack soon also.

Otherwise have quite garish coloured jerseys also from riding back from work in early evening.

Think there really is a gap in the market for some decent hi-viz clothing though that isnt so plain and something other than skeleton.

Touche said:
Talking of Hi-Vis, time to drag this up again.

April Fool?

What I have noticed recently and by watching motorists behaviour is it seems they don't seem to give me as much space as a cyclist wearing dark clothing.

Possibly because Hi-Viz is easier to judge?

Twanger

Über Member
I notice people in Hi Vis more, even if it's only "God, that guy looks a real plonker!". So I extrapolate and assume that others do, too. So, I look like a plonker with my builder's hi vis vest, and trust that drivers can infer I am a cyclist rather than a builder from the fact I am riding a bicycle.

I don't really care what people think about what I look like when I wear Hi_Viz.

That's not important to me.

The funny thing is it isn't generally remarked on although my lucky lion shirt (I bought in Hong Kong) I wear all the time gets all sorts of comments.

D-Rider

Depends on the conditions but always after dark and usually during the day if its dull, rainy etc. Can't say I've noticed drivers treating me any differently with or without hiviz gear.

Perhaps I just had a bad week.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't wear any day-glow tabbards - just make you look like every other POB.

I wear bright clothing e.g. red - and my waterproof has reflective transfers on it. My rucksack has clip on lights, with also reflective patches.

Like others, my lights go on when the weather is poor, all year round - tend to use flashing in very dull/rainy conditions.

The 3m black reflective tape will be going on my new bike's mudguards before the winter sets in.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
tend to ride with lights on even in broad daylight, but if they aren't looking they won't see you no matter what, and if they do see you they will still chance it.

dav1d

Although I feel a bit safer at night with a high viz jacket, I was cycling through Rusholme at night recently. Think there was a football match on cos there were several police officers and a traffic jam. Despite the high viz jacket and the police officers, two drivers took it upon themselves, in full view of the officers to suddenly turn out of the traffic jam without indicating or looking. I will still wear my high viz though as I feel a bit safer.

tordis

When riding in the dark, I do. Never cycled in winter, but I reckon I'll be using my hi-viz gillet then, too. Otherwise, I stick to my normal clothes.

Top Bottom