Hi Viz - Do you or don't you?

High Viz - do you?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, never.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Common sense approach depending on situation

• None of the above, I'll explain below.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
dav1d said:
I was cycling through Rusholme at night recently. Think there was a football match on cos there were several police officers and a traffic jam. Despite the high viz jacket and the police officers, two drivers took it upon themselves, in full view of the officers to suddenly turn out of the traffic jam without indicating or looking.

The key to that is the location.

I've never seen the Highway Code interpeted as liberally as it is at the upper reaches of Oxford Road.

Don't wear any day-glow tabbards - just make you look like every other POB.

I couldn't give a T055

Arch

Married to Night Train
My waterproof is a yellow Endura, so if it's not to warm, I'll be wearing that. Daytime summer rides I'll probably be in t-shirt, which could be any colour, or CC cycling jersey - I don't bother with my hi-vis waistcoat over it.

In wnter (and I'm not sure why only in winter, possibly because it's another layer in the cold, possibly because it's only in winer that I tend to ride in the dark) I add my hi-vis waistcoat over my yellow jacket. But then it has POLITE printed on the back in reflective letters on blue, so it works two ways.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I guess the Sam Browne is even more effective if you set it up in the original style, with a revolver attached....;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Winter dawn dusk and nightime I wear kit with reflective detail: shoes, mitts, jacket/jersey, bibs. I have cut up some of those stick-on reflective hedgehogs the kids get from school and liberally dotted them on my helmet (madam!) The thing which makes you stand out most in my opinion is strobe lighting (tesco micro leds)

I PERSONALLY don't think dayglo is very effective, as approximately half the population of the UK now wear Hi-Viz vests, nearly all of them walking along my route to work, so it no longer makes you stick out like it used to., I chose a yellow Altura waterproof anyway. It was bright to start with, but has faded with use. I prefer to rely on reflective detail at night.

As a cop I know you just can't beat Scotchlite.

smeg

Most of the time I wear blue shorts + either my red & orange motocross jersey or the yellow cycling jersey, and when it's very cold and/or raining a lime green/yellowish jacket. None of it is reflective as such though.

akaAndrew

Yes, at night, it's the law here. Though whether the local gendarmes would bother ticketing you if you didn't, I don't know.

Joseph

cold weather: ex-police (legally obtained!) yellow jacket with reflective tape

wet weather / dark: altura night vision

general 'ok weather'/slightly cold/slightly wet riding: hi-vis yellow/reflective rugby shirt

warm weather: just a t-shirt (sometimes in bright orange)

I'm not sure I've noticed any particularly different behaviour from drivers compared to wearing / not wearing the hivis. (Apart from the ex-police one... some observant drivers seem to suddenly hide their mobiles!)

garrilla

scouserinlondon said:
is the Altura NV any good?

Yes. Great value for money. Good protection. Had mine 3 winters and have had to patch-up the trousers in a couple of places, but all seams still dry on jacket and trews. Makes winter riding near-comfortable.

Top Bottom