Hi-viz is the biz...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I got it from a chap called justin [from Give Cyclist Room campaign] who used to frequent the old C+ forum, but don't know if he's registered on this one.

It's basically a dustbin man style hi-viz with the word POLITE in big 3M reflective lettering imprinted on the back.

This is me wearing it...

POLITE.jpg

Brock

Very nice, bit more work on the biceps though mate. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
buggi said:
i want one. where do you get them from?

The answer would be in Maz's post...

Justin had a batch of about 15 made up specially. I think it was a local shop, or something like Screwfix, where you supply the logo and they print it.

I have one too, worn whenever I'm on the bike, over a hi-vis yellow coat.

polite.jpg

The fact that some people still pass too close suggests that either
a) they have time to read the word properly,
;) they don't care about passing even a cop too close or understand what too close is,
or
c) they're just blind....

I suspect my winter bike (chunky, blue and yellow) may add to the illusion better than my summer bike (skinny, red and silver).

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz said:
I got it from a chap called justin, from Give Cyclist Room campaign

Thanks for the reference. Can't see any Hi-viz on the site, but there'll be another car with a window sticker around Rotherham soon.:sad:

bonj2

Arch said:
The fact that some people still pass too close suggests that either
a) they have time to read the word properly,
;) they don't care about passing even a cop too close or understand what too close is,
or
c) they're just blind....

I suspect my winter bike (chunky, blue and yellow) may add to the illusion better than my summer bike (skinny, red and silver).

Forget a, b, and c - I think you've hit the nail on the head there with that in bold. Wheel size might also have something to do with it. :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Forget a, b, and c - I think you've hit the nail on the head there with that in bold. Wheel size might also have something to do with it. :sad:

That bike I'm riding in the picture isn't my summer or winter bike. It isn't even my bike. All year round, I ride on 700c (summer) or 26" (winter). I can't afford a folder as well just now and if I could I'd get a Brom, not a Birdy. One day...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I’m slowly finding myself having to come round to the way of Mikey as regards hi-viz/reflectives. Although I definitely wouldn’t say hi-viz has no worth, I find the use of reflectives massively better.

1. I’ve had comments from other cyclists on my commute about how they can spot me from a much greater distance due to the 3m tape I’ve now fitted to the bike.

2. About a month ago as the clocks changed I made some comment, in another thread, about being out in the ‘burbs, driving to work and seeing cyclists unlit, on the pavement etc.
I spotted one of these guys last week. About 4 or 5 cars in front. He was stood on the pedals at the top of a short climb. He was on the road, lit up etc, but that wasn’t the first thing that attracted me to his presence. His jacket had a 2” strip of highly reflective tape across the shoulders, another across the small of his back and then there were strips joining the ends of both of these. Also sections down the rear of his upper arms. The guy really stood out in the headlights.

It was only when I was close to him I noticed it was a hi-viz jacket

Arch

Married to Night Train
Am I the only one...? When I say 'hi-vis', I mean the whole caboodle - bright yellow, flouro, reflectives... Each works best in different situations, so one jacket (or in my case jacket/vest combo) with them all is the most efficient way to go...

Therefore gambatte, in my terms, you'd noticed it was a hi-vis jacket the minute you noticed the great reflectives, because to me, reflectives are an integral part of 'hi-vis'....

col

Legendary Member
I was a little confused by your reply too?Reflectives are part of the vest,or they are with all the ones i have had.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I noticed it was a fluorescent yellow jacket at about the same time I noticed he was wearing dark trousers.

I noticed the reflectives from quite a distance away.

I have plenty of 3m tape on my bike However, unless its raining, I don’t have fluorescent clothing. I’ve got the black Aldi cycle top along with a grey windproof B’twin gilet. The gilet incorporates reflectives.

I also own a runners tabard type vest. Grey mesh with reflective strips.

SickCert

As I do from time-to-time, I wore my P-O-L-I-T-E* hi-viz yesterday. It never fails to amaze me how much extra space drivers will give me...they'll even do 'polite' things like indicate left after having overtaken me.

Thats because we can see you better!
I shudder at times especially in the dark cities looking in my left mirror to see slight movement only to realise its a cyclist. Dark mirrors covered with rain drops are the cyclists enemy YOU need to be lit up like Santas very own tree.

bonj2

Arch said:
Am I the only one...? When I say 'hi-vis', I mean the whole caboodle - bright yellow, flouro, reflectives... Each works best in different situations, so one jacket (or in my case jacket/vest combo) with them all is the most efficient way to go...

Therefore gambatte, in my terms, you'd noticed it was a hi-vis jacket the minute you noticed the great reflectives, because to me, reflectives are an integral part of 'hi-vis'....

no not at all Arch, that's what i mean by hi-viz. When i say hi-viz i mean my fluorescent jacket with reflective stripes, which i wear mainly because it's got reflective stripes, not 'cos it's yellow, but some people seem to think hi-viz means just the type of yellow the body of it is coloured. As far as i can tell hi-viz means just that, high visibility, i.e. anything that enables you to be seen better -reflectives do that.

SickCert said:
Thats because we can see you better!
I shudder at times especially in the dark cities looking in my left mirror to see slight movement only to realise its a cyclist. Dark mirrors covered with rain drops are the cyclists enemy YOU need to be lit up like Santas very own tree.

Hey sickcert. Glad to see you made it over. Hope you'll enjoy your time here!:sad:

Top Bottom