Hi-Viz / reflective - pros & cons.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
This should really get some folk going - !
Prompted by a member's letter to the latest issue of the CTC magazine which asks about the wisdom of the recent popularity of black as the colour of choice for cycling tops. I had actually asked an Altura rep who was in my LCS why this is and he said it was in ' response ' to customers wanting cycle wear that didn't make them look like a cyclist off the bike ( but then why just black and not say, purple, burgundy red, navy blue, mid green etc. - ? ). In the response to the reader's letter, it stated that there has never been any real research to illustrate the benefits or drawbacks of wearing bright colour cycle clothing. However, it said that research does suggest that retroflective material, especially if it's moving, i.e., anklebands does help catch driver's attention. Now, strips of retroflective material is often seen on black cycle tops, but two issues here; one it doesn't really move much and secondly, if the conditions are ones of poor light / overcast which doesn't justify vehicles having their lights on, then said material isn't much use.
On my daily commute in both urban and rural settings, which include going along past tree lined city roads, high hedgerows and also open fields, most of the cyclists I see wear bright yellow or orange tops ( and bash hats are almost universal - ! ) and are thus visible for some distance ahead. Even the occasional joggers I see tend to wear bright yellow. Red doesn't stand out well along the high hedgerow sections and dark colours, be it black, grey or navy blue blends in too well with the surroundings during daylight hours - see above observation.
The qualification to this discussion is that colour perception is a very personal thing and some will see certain colours as being brighter / duller than others, especially among men who have a higher chance of being colourblind, something that is very rare among women.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Wear some if not lots of high viz and reflective material. Be seen be safe!:okay:

Your point about different colours is one of the main issues.

In Autumn , or if you have Rape fields locally, yellows fade in, but darker colours can stand out

You really need to carry a full wardrobe of different colours and change then according to the local environment

winjim

Smash the cistern
Even if the reflective itself does not move, the brightness of it changes as the illuminating headlight beam moves across it. This, I find, draws attention to it and is part of the reason I prefer reflectors to lights.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I suspect plenty of lemon yellow cyclists get knocked off because it's the driver not paying attention rather than the cyclist not being 'visible' enough. I wear either a black or grey jacket this time of year. Not very visible but I'm certainly not invisible. I do wear a pale coloured cap as opposed to one of my darker caps, purely for reasons of visibility.

The report I saw last year was done in Australia and the conclusions were that hi vis made no discernable difference to being seen on a bike, if it was in a built up enviroment, in fact they found that a one colour jacket of white or vlack was often better,d depending on the road and conditions. In low light a hi vis jacket is no better than any other colour, reflective material is needed. The thing that worked best was light reflective bands on the ankles. Apparently the human brain only sees the movement of the reflective strips and can immediately interpret that specific movement as a cyclist.
The problem is that sometimes it does not matter if you had a neon sign above you, if people do not look they will not see you,

Lonestar

Veteran
The problem is that sometimes it does not matter if you had a neon sign above you, if people do not look they will not see you,

Tell me about it.:wacko:

... and the old question of car visibility

Why do we allow black cars?

Black, dark blue and grey cars are the most common in accidents

What hasn't been explained yet is why white was not the safest colour, as whilst grey had an increased risk of accidents, Silver cars have half as many as white

So it appears that Silver is a safe colour

PS,,, Red and blue cars are more likely to be stolen!

Reactions: mjr

Lonestar

Veteran
Possibly though something you can't see you tend to track more like that cyclist I followed last night with no lights dressed all in black.I wouldn't say a lot of my concentration being taken up on one road user is such a good thing.Especially after a long job which involves me concentrating a lot of the time.All I could see is a dark outline and that was it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Make your own mind up, I look at cyclists on the road and see what attracted my attention.... In heavy traffic in the gloaming, it's flashing lights, they don't get lost in amongst the host of other lights, especially if you are filtering. A bright day I wear what ever I like. Me personally I don't like being head to toe in dark clothes and so I will break it up with a light coloured gillet.

Top Bottom